Properly Applying Ampere's Law

In summary, the problem asks to find the magnitude and direction of the current in a wire, located at a distance of 3.00R from center to center of a circular pipe with outside radius R = 2.4 cm, such that the net magnetic field at point P has the same magnitude as the net magnetic field at the center of the pipe but is in the opposite direction. The solution involves finding the magnetic field at the center of the pipe, and then determining the necessary current in the wire to produce a field of equal magnitude but opposite direction at point P.
Oijl

Homework Statement

Different question, same problem.
I edited this post from what I orignially posted it as (in which my issue was that I misread the problem).

In Figure 29-63, a long circular pipe with outside radius R = 2.4 cm carries a (uniformly distributed) current i = 3.40 mA into the page. A wire runs parallel to the pipe at a distance of 3.00R from center to center. Find the magnitude and direction of the current in the wire such that the net magnetic field at point P has the same magnitude as the net magnetic field at the center of the pipe but is in the opposite direction.

thehome.gif

Homework Equations

Ampere's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to find the net field at the center of the pipe.

By thinking about it and by looking at equations for B (which have R in the denominator), isn't the magnetic field at the center of the pipe due to the pipe zero?

If the field due to the pipe at the center of the pipe is zero, then the wire cannot produce a field at point P that is in the opposite direction than the net field at the center of the pipe.

So the net field at center of the pipe cannot be zero? Or where else could I be wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't do what the problem asked you to do. You found how much current you need in the wire to have equal contributions from wire and pipe at point P.

The problem asks you to
Find the magnitude and direction of the current in the wire such that the net magnetic field at point P has the same magnitude as the net magnetic field at the center of the pipe but is in the opposite direction.
You need to find first how much magnetic field you have at the center of the pipe then figure out how much current you need in the wire to get a field of the same magnitude (as the center) but in the opposite direction. What you did and what you are supposed to do are not the same

Well, do I ever feel sheepish.

I edited the first post, so that I'm asking a new problem now, because even reading the problem correctly I can't see it properly.

I don't know what you changed, but what you are asked to find remains the same. At the center of the pipe you only have the field from the wire. At point P you have the field from the wire and the pipe. My suggestion in posting #2 is unchanged.

1. What is Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between electric currents and the magnetic fields they produce.

2. When should Ampere's Law be used?

Ampere's Law is typically used in situations where there is a known electric current and the resulting magnetic field needs to be calculated.

3. How is Ampere's Law properly applied?

Ampere's Law states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the current passing through the loop. Therefore, to properly apply Ampere's Law, one must calculate the line integral of the magnetic field and equate it to the current passing through the loop.

4. What are the limitations of Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is only applicable to steady currents, meaning the current must remain constant over time. It also does not take into account the effects of changing electric fields or non-conductive materials.

5. Can Ampere's Law be used to calculate the magnetic field inside a current-carrying wire?

Yes, Ampere's Law can be used to calculate the magnetic field inside a current-carrying wire. This is done by choosing a closed loop that passes through the wire and calculating the line integral of the magnetic field around that loop.