Proportion Problem Dealing with Moon's Period

• Thread starter PeachBanana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Period
In summary, the moon is four times the distance from the Earth than it currently is, and the amount of time it would take to go around the Earth would be roughly 8 weeks.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

18. If the moon were four times the distance from the Earth than it currently is, the amount of time it would take to go around the Earth would be roughly (the current orbital period of the moon is about four weeks)

A. 8 weeks
B. 11 Weeks
C. 16 Weeks
D. 32 Weeks
E. 64 Weeks

Homework Equations

T is directly proportional to (r)^3/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I absolutely am awful at problems that deal strictly with proportions.

T = (4)^(3/2)
(4)^(3/2) = 8 weeks

Since the coefficient in front of "T" is "one," should I multiply four by eight since the problem states the period of the moon is about four weeks long?

Also, is there a maximum number of times a person can post in one day? I feel like I post a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea about a maximum number of votes, but who cares anyway!

Proportions are okay if you think about them in a good way (as with most things). Personally I like to introduce a constant so the statement "T is directly proportional to (r)^3/2" I would write as
[itex] T \propto r^{3/2} [/itex]
then
[itex] T = C r^{3/2} [/itex]

then you also have an equation for when the distance changes, using primes

[itex] T' = C r'^{3/2} [/itex]

Now you are left with two coupled equations (see that C remains the same!) and a relation

[itex] r'=4r [/itex]

By solving for T' you will see some cancellation which will you an answer.

I think doing it the method you have tried is possible. I get 32 if that helps.

You might find it easier to set up your ratios as an equation. If T is proportional to r3/2, then ignoring constants of proportionality write:

##T^2 \propto r^3##

Then if you have initial and final values (one or more of which may be unknowns), then you might write:

## T1^2 \propto r1^3 ##
## T2^2 \propto r2^3 ##

Dividing one relation by the other:

## \frac{T1^2}{T2^2} = \frac{r1^3}{r2^3}##

Substitute in the things you know and solve for what you want.

gash789 said:
I have no idea about a maximum number of votes, but who cares anyway!

Proportions are okay if you think about them in a good way (as with most things). Personally I like to introduce a constant so the statement "T is directly proportional to (r)^3/2" I would write as
[itex] T \propto r^{3/2} [/itex]
then
[itex] T = C r^{3/2} [/itex]

then you also have an equation for when the distance changes, using primes

[itex] T' = C r'^{3/2} [/itex]

Now you are left with two coupled equations (see that C remains the same!) and a relation

[itex] r'=4r [/itex]

By solving for T' you will see some cancellation which will you an answer.

I think doing it the method you have tried is possible. I get 32 if that helps.

Do you mind explicitly explaining how you went from [itex] T' = C r'^{3/2} [/itex]

to [itex] r'=4r [/itex] ? I also got 32, which is the correct answer, but I'm still just a tad bit confused.

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a systematic and logical approach. In this case, we can use the equation T is directly proportional to (r)^3/2, where T represents the orbital period and r represents the distance from the Earth to the moon.

If the moon were four times the current distance from the Earth, we can set up a proportion:

(T1) / (T2) = (r1)^3/2 / (r2)^3/2

Where T1 is the current orbital period of the moon (4 weeks), T2 is the unknown orbital period at four times the distance, r1 is the current distance, and r2 is four times the current distance.

Substituting in the values, we get:

(4 weeks) / (T2) = (1)^3/2 / (4)^3/2

Solving for T2, we get approximately 16 weeks. Therefore, the correct answer is C. 16 weeks.

In terms of posting multiple times in one day, there is no set limit but it is important to consider if your posts are contributing meaningful and relevant content to the discussion. It may be helpful to take a break and come back to the discussion later with a fresh perspective.

What is a "Proportion Problem Dealing with Moon's Period"?

A proportion problem dealing with the moon's period is a type of mathematical problem that involves determining the relationship between the length of a lunar cycle and a given time period.

How is the moon's period calculated?

The moon's period, or the time it takes for the moon to complete one full cycle around the Earth, is calculated by dividing the Earth's orbital period around the sun (365.24 days) by the moon's orbital period around the Earth (29.53 days), resulting in approximately 12.37 lunar cycles per year.

What are some real-life applications of proportion problems dealing with the moon's period?

Proportion problems dealing with the moon's period can be used in fields such as astronomy, navigation, and agriculture. For example, farmers may use the moon's period to determine the best time for planting and harvesting crops, while sailors may use it to plan their voyages.

What is the significance of studying proportion problems dealing with the moon's period?

Studying proportion problems dealing with the moon's period can help us better understand the natural cycles of the Earth and moon, as well as their impact on our daily lives. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations that can be useful in various fields.

Are there any challenges or limitations when dealing with proportion problems involving the moon's period?

Yes, there are some challenges and limitations when dealing with proportion problems involving the moon's period. These can include the complexity of the calculations involved, variations in the moon's orbital period, and the influence of external factors such as the Earth's rotation and gravitational pull from other celestial bodies.