Proportions in circular motion don't make sense.

In summary, the problem asks for the centripetal acceleration experienced by a person riding at a distance of 3.00 m from the center of a merry-go-round, given that another person at a distance of 7.00 m experiences an acceleration of 7.50 m/s2. To solve the problem, we use the proportion ac\propto\frac{v^2}{r} and the relationship between velocity and angular velocity (v = omega * r) in circular motion. However, the proportionality should be a_c \propto r \omega^2, and not a_c \propto \frac{1}{r}. This explains the discrepancy between the given solution and the expected solution.
Scorpius
Alright, here's the problem I'm have been given:

"A boy is riding a merry-go-round at a distance of 7.00 m from its center. The boy experiences a centripetal acceleration of 7.50 m/s2. What Centripetal acceleration is experienced by another person who is riding at a distance of 3.00 m from the center?"

After looking at this problem I started solving it using proportions. Here is what I did:

ac=Centripetal acceleration
r=radius
v= velocity

ac[itex]\propto[/itex][itex]\frac{v^2}{r}[/itex]

ac[itex]\propto[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{7 m/3 m}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{7 m/3 m}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{3}{7}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{3}{7}[/itex]*7.5 m/s2=3.21 m/s2

According to my worksheet, this is the correct answer.

But something about the above proportion bothers me.

When it says ac[itex]\propto[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{7m/3m}[/itex] Why is Velocity one? In class we discussed that velocity of an object changes when you change "r" or the radius of the object from the center, but according to this proportion the velocity between the two boys is the same

I may need to remind you that this gave me the correct answer

What am I missing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity is not = 1.

You are missing the fact that in circular motion, v = omega * r, where omega is the angular velocity in radians/sec. For the merry-go-round, omega = constant for uniform circular motion.

You treated the velocity as constant (wrong), but then you misapplied the proportionality, reversing it. Your method should have given you 7/3 * 7.5. Two errors canceled out. What is constant is the angular speed, ω, so you should have used ##a_c \propto r \omega^2##.

Related to Proportions in circular motion don't make sense.

1. Why do proportions in circular motion seem counterintuitive?

Proportions in circular motion can often seem counterintuitive because our brains are wired to understand linear motion more easily. Circular motion involves constant change in direction and velocity, which can be difficult to visualize.

2. How can we understand proportions in circular motion better?

One way to understand proportions in circular motion better is to think about it in terms of angular velocity. Instead of focusing on linear speed, we can think about how quickly an object is rotating around a central point.

3. Are there any real-life examples of circular motion that can help us understand proportions?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of circular motion that can help us understand proportions, such as a carousel, a Ferris wheel, or a spinning top. These objects all exhibit circular motion and can give us a better understanding of how proportions work in this type of motion.

4. Can we use proportions in circular motion to predict the behavior of an object?

Yes, we can use proportions in circular motion to predict the behavior of an object. By understanding the relationship between linear speed, angular velocity, and radius, we can make predictions about an object's path and speed in circular motion.

5. Why is it important to understand proportions in circular motion?

Understanding proportions in circular motion is important for many fields of science and engineering, such as astronomy, mechanics, and robotics. It also helps us understand the natural world and the complex movements of objects around us.