Proton NMR (Enantiomer vs. Diastereomer)

• Thread starter Helicore
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nmr Proton
In summary, if you have a chiral center, you can expect to find enantiomers and diastereomers. If you don't have a chiral center, you only have stereoisomers.
Helicore
I am a bit confused with how to determine whether a set of hydrogens are enantiomers or diastereomers (and therefore how many different sets there are).
[In attachment} I understand d, and e, since they both already have a chirality center, and replacing a hydrogen on the CH2 (which is a pro-chirality center) would create another chirality center making it a diastereomer. But I don't quite get the rest when there are no present chirality centers.

I am assuming a is enantiotopic since it would produce a single chirality center (?), but the other two diastereotopic ones don't quite make sense to me (though I think it should..).
For the CH3's that make up the diastereomer in c, and e, the hydrogens on the methyl itself are homotopic correct? And diastereotopic when compared to the other methyl?

* What kind of process should I be going through to determine this?
I think I have only a single step so far that I am somewhat sure on, which is to check for any present chirality centers. What should follow?

Attachments

• test.GIF
    test.GIF
    3.9 KB · Views: 12,191
Physics news on Phys.org
To see if the protons are equivalent, imagine the proton to be replaced by some other atom Z. If the replacement of either of the two protons gives enantiomeric products, then the two protons are chemically equivalent.

Enantiomers are mirror-image isomers, which are non-superimposable. They only differ in the way the atoms are oriented in space.

First, let me give you some definitions, which you may already know.
Molecules that are not superimposable on their mirror image are chiral
By superimposable, I mean that, the molecule and it's mirror image coincide completely.
A carbon atom where four different groups is attached is called a chiral center

Now, not all molecules that contain a chiral center are chiral. Such molecules will have more than one chiral center. There are also chiral molecules which do not contain chiral centers. So the presence of chirality centers does not guarantee that the molecule is chiral.

Having said that, however, most chiral molecules have chiral centers. So if you find a chiral center, consider the possibility that the molecule is chiral and exists in enantiomeric forms. To predict if a molecule is chiral or not on paper, draw the wedge diagram and see if you can superimpose the mirror image.

Now what are diastereomers? Stereoisomers that are not mirror images of each other are called diastereomers. This can happen in case of Geometric (cis/trans) isomerism (where there is restricted rotation), or when there is more than one chiral center.

So, in your attached diagram, after replacing the H proton by Z see if the resulting compound is enatiomeric, or diastereomeric. This will tell you if it's enantiotopic or diastereotopic. The last one is pretty simple, because it's easy to see it gives you the same molecule.

Last edited:

I can provide some clarification on the concept of enantiomers and diastereomers in proton NMR.

Enantiomers are molecules that are non-superimposable mirror images of each other. This means that they have the same chemical and physical properties, but differ in their spatial arrangement. In proton NMR, enantiomers will have identical spectra because they have the same chemical environment for their protons.

On the other hand, diastereomers are molecules that are not mirror images of each other and have different chemical and physical properties. In proton NMR, diastereomers will have different spectra because they have different chemical environments for their protons.

To determine if a set of hydrogens are enantiomers or diastereomers, you need to consider the number and arrangement of chirality centers in the molecule. A chirality center is an atom that is bonded to four different groups. In the attached image, d and e have chirality centers, so replacing a hydrogen on the CH2 will create another chirality center, making them diastereomers. However, a does not have a chirality center, so it cannot have enantiomers or diastereomers.

For the CH3 groups in c and e, the hydrogens on the methyl group itself are homotopic, meaning they can be interchanged without creating a new chiral center. However, they are diastereotopic when compared to the other methyl group, as they are in different chemical environments.

To determine enantiomers and diastereomers, you should first check for any chirality centers. If there are none, then the molecule cannot have enantiomers or diastereomers. If there are chirality centers, you can then use the concepts of homotopic and diastereotopic groups to determine if the molecule has enantiomers or diastereomers.

In summary, to determine enantiomers and diastereomers in proton NMR, you need to consider the number and arrangement of chirality centers in the molecule and compare the chemical environments of the protons.

Related to Proton NMR (Enantiomer vs. Diastereomer)

1. What is the difference between enantiomers and diastereomers in Proton NMR?

Enantiomers are molecules that have the same molecular formula and connectivity but are non-superimposable mirror images of each other. Diastereomers, on the other hand, are molecules that have the same molecular formula and connectivity but are not mirror images of each other. In Proton NMR, enantiomers have the same chemical shifts and coupling constants, while diastereomers have different chemical shifts and coupling constants.

2. How does Proton NMR distinguish between enantiomers and diastereomers?

In Proton NMR, the chemical shifts of enantiomers will be exactly the same, while the chemical shifts of diastereomers will be different. This is because enantiomers have the same electronic environment around each proton, while diastereomers have different electronic environments due to their different spatial arrangements.

3. Can Proton NMR be used to determine the absolute configuration of enantiomers and diastereomers?

No, Proton NMR cannot determine the absolute configuration of enantiomers and diastereomers. This is because the NMR spectrum only provides information about the relative configuration of molecules. To determine the absolute configuration, other techniques such as X-ray crystallography or chiroptical methods are needed.

4. How do enantiomers and diastereomers affect the integration values in Proton NMR?

In Proton NMR, the integration values (peak heights) will be the same for enantiomers because they have the same number of protons in the same electronic environment. Diastereomers, however, will have different integration values because they have different numbers of protons in different electronic environments.

5. Can Proton NMR be used to distinguish between enantiomers and diastereomers if they have different chemical shifts?

Yes, Proton NMR can still be used to distinguish between enantiomers and diastereomers even if they have different chemical shifts. This is because the coupling constants (J values) will be the same for enantiomers and different for diastereomers. Additionally, the splitting patterns of the NMR peaks can also provide information about the spatial arrangement of the molecules, aiding in differentiating between enantiomers and diastereomers.