1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove Analytically: Inversion of a Circle is Also a Circle

1. Mar 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the unit circle (in the Euclidean plane) centered at the origin x^2+y^2=1, and a general circle D with equation (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=c^2 that does not pass through the origin (ie the center of inversion, ie a^2+b^2≠c^2, prove analytically that the inversion of D in the unit cirlce is still a circle.

2. Relevant equations

See the attached pdf files

3. The attempt at a solution

I can prove this synthetically. I even worked out the equation of the image circle D', but I can't derive it algebraically. I feel I must be missing something very obvious.

I uploaded two pdf files. I was going to upload a GSP file, but I guess this forum can't do that? I'll have to generate pdfs from it or something. Do most of you guys have GSP? It's mind-bogglingly useful.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2012 #2
    I'm posting again to upload pdf files I generated from Geometer's Sketch Pad. They may help somebody follow what I write in the other two pdfs. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook