Prove dQ is an inexact differential

In summary: So, the two sides are not equal.In summary, we can show that reversible heat ##Q_R## is not a thermodynamic property by demonstrating that the functional relationship between its partial derivatives does not hold for a general state function.
arpon

Homework Statement

##dz=Mdx+Ndy## is an exact differential if ##(\frac{\partial M}{\partial y})_x=(\frac{\partial N}{\partial x})_y##.
By invoking the condition for an exact differential, demonstrate that the
reversible heat ##Q_R## is not a thermodynamic property.

Homework Equations

##dQ=dU+PdV##
##dU=C_VdT##

The Attempt at a Solution

##dQ=C_VdT+PdV##
So, we have to show that, ##(\frac{\partial C_V}{\partial V})_T \neq (\frac{\partial P}{\partial T})_V##
Now,
##LHS=(\frac{\partial C_V}{\partial V})_T##
##=(\frac{\partial}{\partial V}((\frac{\partial U}{\partial T})_V))_T~~~~##[##C_V=(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T})_V##]
##=(\frac{\partial}{\partial T}((\frac{\partial U}{\partial V})_T))_V~~~~## [Symmetry of second derivatives]
So, we need to show that
##(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V})_T \neq P+F(V)~~~## [where, ##F(V)## is an arbitary function of ##V##]
##(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V})_T - P \neq F(V)##

If the equation of state is given, this can easily be proved. How can I prove this in general? I also do not understand what would be the difference for irreversible heat.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just an input for you=I don't have the solution, but ## TdS=dQ_{reversible} ## so that according to the above, you should be able to show that the functional property holds for ## S ## but not for ## Q_{reversible} ##.

I think you should work with $$C_V=T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V$$ and determine the partial with respect to V at constant T. This can be expressed in terms of the equation of state parameters by applying a Maxwell relationship.

Chestermiller said:
I think you should work with $$C_V=T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V$$ and determine the partial with respect to V at constant T. This can be expressed in terms of the equation of state parameters by applying a Maxwell relationship.
I tried as you mentioned,
##\left(\frac{\partial C_V}{\partial V}\right)_T##
##=\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial V}(T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V)\right)_T##
##=T\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial V}(\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V)\right)_T## ... (i)

Now,
##\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial P}\right)_V \left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V=-\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_S \left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V##...(ii) [Using Maxwell relationship]
Using (i) and (ii),
##\left(\frac{\partial C_V}{\partial V}\right)_T##
##=-T\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial V}(\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_S \left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V)_V)\right)_T##
What should be the next steps?

I didn't notice before that, in your original post, your equation for dU is incorrect. Do you know what the correct relationship is?

You are going to kick yourself. This problem is much simpler than what you've been trying to do.

For a reversible process, dQ=TdS

Now, if you express dS in terms of dT, dV, and partials of S with respect to T and V, what do you get? What do you get if you substitute that relationship into dQ=TdS?

Likes arpon and Charles Link
Chestermiller said:
You are going to kick yourself. This problem is much simpler than what you've been trying to do.

Now, if you express dS in terms of dT, dV, and partials of S with respect to T and V, what do you get? What do you get if you substitute that relationship into dQ=TdS?
@Chestermiller I don't see an additional response from the OP yet, but your input was useful. I see when testing the criteria given by the OP in post #1, there is an extra term so that the two sides are not equal. In the case of ## dS=(1/T)(dU+PdV) ## though, the criterion is met, at least in the case of an ideal gas.

Chestermiller said:
I didn't notice before that, in your original post, your equation for dU is incorrect. Do you know what the correct relationship is?
Thanks for pointing out the mistake. I am used to solve problems for ideal gases, that's why I have made the mistake, I guess.

Chestermiller said:

Thanks for the hints!
##dQ_R=TdS=T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right) _V dT + T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right) _T dV ##
So, we have to show that,
##\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial V} \left( T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right) _V \right)\right)_T \neq \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial T} \left(T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right) _T \right)\right )_V##
##RHS=T\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial T} \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right) _T \right )_V + \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T##
And,
##LHS=T \left(\frac{\partial}{\partial V} \left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right) _V \right)_T##

But ##S(V,T)## is a state function of ##V## and ##T##. So ##\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T \neq 0## in general.

Last edited:
Likes Chestermiller

1. What is an inexact differential?

An inexact differential is a mathematical concept used in thermodynamics to describe the change in a system's energy that is dependent on the path it takes. It is often represented by the symbol dQ and is different from an exact differential, which represents a change in a system's energy that is not dependent on the path.

2. How do you prove that dQ is an inexact differential?

To prove that dQ is an inexact differential, we need to show that it does not satisfy the properties of an exact differential. This can be done by calculating the line integral of dQ along different paths and showing that the result is not independent of the path taken. If the line integral is path-dependent, then dQ is an inexact differential.

3. What are the implications of dQ being an inexact differential?

The fact that dQ is an inexact differential means that the change in a system's energy is not solely determined by its initial and final states, but also by the path it takes. This has important implications in thermodynamics, as it means that the physical processes occurring in a system can affect its energy in different ways.

4. Can you give an example of an inexact differential?

An example of an inexact differential is the change in enthalpy, dH, in a chemical reaction. The value of dH depends on the path taken during the reaction, as well as the initial and final states of the system. This is because different reaction mechanisms can result in different amounts of heat being released or absorbed.

5. How is dQ related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that the total energy of an isolated system is constant. This can be expressed as dU = dQ - dW, where dU is the change in internal energy, dQ is the change in heat, and dW is the change in work done. Since dQ is an inexact differential, the amount of heat absorbed or released by a system can vary depending on the path taken, thus affecting the overall change in internal energy of the system.