Prove Invertibility of nxn Matrix AB=I

  • Thread starter Thread starter sheldonrocks97
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Matrix
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
sheldonrocks97
Gold Member
Messages
66
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



Prove that every n x n matrix A for which there exists an n x n matrix B such that AB = I must be invertible. Hint: Use properties of determinants.

Homework Equations



None that I am aware of.

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried finding the inverse of the matrix and multiplying by an elementary matrix. I also tried finding the determinants of a simple matrix and using it's properties but nothing is working :(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sheldonrocks97 said:

Homework Statement



Prove that every n x n matrix A for which there exists an n x n matrix B such that AB = I must be invertible. Hint: Use properties of determinants.

Homework Equations



None that I am aware of.

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried finding the inverse of the matrix and multiplying by an elementary matrix. I also tried finding the determinants of a simple matrix and using it's properties but nothing is working :(

You are supposed to use the fact that [itex]\det (AB) = (\det A) (\det B)[/itex].