Prove Set of all onto mappings from A->A is closed

In summary: Does the formal definition that Sammy gave you make sense?The formal definition that Sammy gave you makes sense, but it's not very helpful. You need a more detailed explanation of what is happening. First, write down what you know about f and g being onto. Then, find an example. Perhaps f, g: [0, 1] -> [0, 1], where f(x) = x^2 and g(x) = 1 - x. Check that these are onto, then show that f o g is onto. Why is f o g onto? Then, try to generalise this for any functions.
knowLittle

Homework Statement

Prove that set of all onto mappings of A->A is closed under composition of mappings:

Homework Equations

Definition of onto and closure on sets.

The Attempt at a Solution

Say, ##f## and ##g## are onto mappings from A to A.
Now, say I have a set S(A) = {all onto mappings of A to A }, so ##f## and ##g \in S##
Then,

## f o g(a_0) = f(g(a_0)) = f(a_i) , a_i, a_0 \in A; a_i ## represents all elements in A that are being hitted.
Now, the domain of ##f## is set A, since ##g## is onto. And now all elements in the domain of ##f## will hit all elements in the codomain of f.
Therefore, ##fog \in S(A) ##

Is this correct? Or is it weak, illogical, flawed ... ?

Physics news on Phys.org
knowLittle said:

Homework Statement

Prove that set of all onto mappings of A->A is closed under composition of mappings:

Homework Equations

Definition of onto and closure on sets.

The Attempt at a Solution

Say, ##f## and ##g## are onto mappings from A to A.
Now, say I have a set S(A) = {all onto mappings of A to A }, so ##f## and ##g \in S##
Then,

## f o g(a_0) = f(g(a_0)) = f(a_i) , a_i, a_0 \in A; a_i ## represents all elements in A that are being hitted.
Now, the domain of ##f## is set A, since ##g## is onto. And now all elements in the domain of ##f## will hit all elements in the codomain of f.
Therefore, ##fog \in S(A) ##

Is this correct? Or is it weak, illogical, flawed ... ?

It's not correct. Both the general approach and the details are not right.

First, there's no need to introduce S(A) when you did. Stick with f and g being onto. You need to show that f o g is onto. Now, can you write down the definition of onto for f o g? Try writing it as:

"We need to show that ..."

Thanks.
We need to show that ##fog## is onto or in other words
fog = z = f(g(x)) =A?

f: A-> A : f(a) = A
g: A ->A: g(a) = A

Is this correct?

knowLittle said:
Thanks.
fog = z = f(g(x)) =A?

Is this correct?
You need to show that for every z in A, there is an x in A such that ##\ (f \circ g) \, (x)=z \ ## .

Still not very sure on how to start.
BTW, is there anything rescuable from my first approach?

knowLittle said:
Still not very sure on how to start.
BTW, is there anything rescuable from my first approach?
Sure.

Having f & g be chosen from set S is fine.

Then show that ##\ f\circ g\ ## is onto.

knowLittle said:
Thanks.
fog = z = f(g(x)) =A?

Is this correct?

If you don't know the definition of onto, how can you prove a function is onto? Formal definitions are essential for rigorous mathematics.

Does the formal definition that Sammy gave you make sense?

I'd do two things to start. First, I'd write down what you know about f and g being onto.

Then, I'd find an example. Perhaps f, g: [0, 1] -> [0, 1], where f(x) = x^2 and g(x) = 1 - x. Check that these are onto, then show that f o g is onto. Why is f o g onto? Then, try to generalise this for any functions.

What does "closed" mean in the context of mappings?

"Closed" in this context means that the set contains all possible mappings that satisfy a certain condition, and there are no other mappings outside of this set that also satisfy the condition.

What is the condition that must be satisfied for a mapping to be considered onto?

A mapping is considered onto if every element in the range of the mapping is mapped to by at least one element in the domain.

Why is it important to prove that the set of all onto mappings from A to A is closed?

It is important to prove the closure of this set because it ensures that all possible mappings from A to A that are onto have been accounted for. This is important in order to make accurate conclusions and predictions in mathematical and scientific applications.

What are some examples of mappings that are onto?

Some examples of mappings that are onto include the function f(x) = 2x, where the domain and range are both the set of real numbers, and the function g(x) = x2, where the domain and range are both the set of positive real numbers.

Can a mapping be both onto and one-to-one?

Yes, a mapping can be both onto and one-to-one. This type of mapping is called a bijection and it has a unique inverse mapping, meaning that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the domain and range.