Prove that a projectile launched on level ground

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for proving that a projectile launched on level ground reaches its maximum height midway along its trajectory. The main points of the discussion include clarifying the problem statement, interpreting the question, and determining the necessary equations to use. Ultimately, it is suggested to find the total horizontal distance and the horizontal distance to the apex and show that they are equal, thus proving that the projectile reaches half of its maximum height at the midpoint of its trajectory.
negation

Homework Statement

Prove that a projectile launched on level ground reaches maximum height midway along its trajectory.

The Attempt at a Solution

Capture.JPG

Is the attached solution the correct way to prove?

I tried another method which was:
t = 0 or t = 2vyi/g

[y(2vyi/g) = y(0) + vi.t -0.5gt^2]/2 [itex]\equiv y(vyi/g) = y(0) + vyi.t -0.5gt^2 = vyi^2/g[/itex]
then solve but it couldn't be solve.
This was so that I could prove that the total displacement in t_apex = vyi/g is equivalent to half the displacement achieved in y(2vyi/g) = y(0) + vi.t -0.5gt^2

Physics news on Phys.org
(1) Just to be absolutely clear, rather than clear by assumption, the problem statement should say that this is a ballistic trajectory (it always is in such problems, but still ... )

(2) I interpret the question to mean that you are to show that the apex occurs when half of the total horizontal distance has been covered. I think this would be a more normal interpretation that the other two possible interpretations which are "when half of the total time has elapsed" and "when BOTH half of the time AND half of the distance have elapsed" (which happens to be the case but to my mind wasn't really the question).

phinds said:
(1) Just to be absolutely clear, rather than clear by assumption, the problem statement should say that this is a ballistic trajectory (it always is in such problems, but still ... )

(2) I interpret the question to mean that you are to show that the apex occurs when half of the total horizontal distance has been covered. I think this would be a more normal interpretation that the other two possible interpretations which are "when half of the total time has elapsed" and "when BOTH half of the time AND half of the distance have elapsed" (which happens to be the case but to my mind wasn't really the question).

For half the horizontal distance to be covered, half the time from x=0 to x = x must have elasped. I have found this time, symbolically. I subbed this time into the y-displacement component. Would this, thus, demonstrated the proof?

negation said:
For half the horizontal distance to be covered, half the time from x=0 to x = x must have elasped. I have found this time, symbolically. I subbed this time into the y-displacement component. Would this, thus, demonstrated the proof?

I hope you know the formula for the range of a symmetric projectile. You also know that time of ascent equals time of descent. Hence when y=H=Maximum height, x=Horizontal velocity * (total time)/2 = ...

sankalpmittal said:
I hope you know the formula for the range of a symmetric projectile. You also know that time of ascent equals time of descent. Hence when y=H=Maximum height, x=Horizontal velocity * (total time)/2 = ...

I know how to derive those equation.
What I did in the attachment was to find half the time required for the trajectory, then sub that time into the y-displacement equation. That would give me the displacement of the y-component at t = 1/2.
What I'm asking is if this alone is a sufficient condition for proving the demands of the question.

Last edited:
negation said:
I know how to derive those equation.
What I did in the attachment was to find half the time required for the trajectory, then sub that time into the y-displacement equation. That would give me the displacement of the y-component at t = 1/2.
What I'm asking is if this alone is a sufficient condition for proving the demands of the question.

Well by your method you concluded in a long winded way that time of ascent = total time/2 = vy/g..

But then how you will prove that at y=maximum height, x= Range/2 for a symmetric projectile. You will need an equation for horizontal.

sankalpmittal said:
Well by your method you concluded in a long winded way that time of ascent = total time/2 = vy/g..

But then how you will prove that at y=maximum height, x= Range/2 for a symmetric projectile. You will need an equation for horizontal.

Am I required to use the x-displacement equation? If so, x = vi cos Θ .t
t at y_apex = vyi/g

x = vi cos Θ (vyi /g)

Personally, to show that half the distance is covered, I would find the total horizontal distance H and the horizontal distance to the apex A and show that A = H/2. That seems to be the most unambiguous way to do it.

1. How can you prove that a projectile launched on level ground follows a parabolic path?

A projectile launched on level ground will always follow a parabolic path due to the force of gravity acting on it. As the projectile moves horizontally, it is also pulled downwards by gravity, causing it to curve downwards and form a parabola.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile launched on level ground?

The trajectory of a projectile launched on level ground is affected by its initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity. These factors determine the shape and distance of the projectile's path.

3. How is the range of a projectile calculated?

The range of a projectile launched on level ground can be calculated using the formula R = (v^2 * sin(2θ))/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes no air resistance and a level ground.

4. Can a projectile launched on level ground have a perfectly straight path?

No, a projectile launched on level ground will always follow a curved path due to the force of gravity. In order for a projectile to have a perfectly straight path, it would need to be launched with an initial velocity that exactly counteracts the force of gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile launched on level ground?

Air resistance can affect the trajectory of a projectile launched on level ground by slowing it down and causing it to deviate from its expected path. This is because air resistance creates a force that acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, reducing its speed and changing its trajectory.