1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that v(t) is any vector that depends on time

1. Sep 18, 2007 #1
    Prove that v(t) is any vector that depends on time (for example the velocity of a moving particle) but which has constant magnitude, then [tex]\dot{v}[/tex](t) is orthogonal to v(t). Prove the converse that if [tex]\dot{v}[/tex](t) is orthogonal to v(t), then lv(t)l is constant. Hint: consder the derivative of v^2.

This is a very hand result. It explains why, in 2-D polars, d[tex]\hat{r}[/tex]/dt has to be in the direction of [tex]\hat{\phi}[/tex] and vice versa. It also shows that the speed of a charged particle in a magnetic field is constant, since teh acceleration is perpendicular to the velocity.

How to I approach proving this? I'm also unclear on Orthogonal, which I'll look up now but if someone could explain this to compliment what I'm off to figure out, I'd appreciate it a great deal.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

The trick is to use this equation [tex]\vec{v}\cdot\vec{v} = |\vec{v}|^2[/tex]

Try taking the derivative of both sides... see what happens.

4. Sep 18, 2007 #3
    How did you know that?

5. Sep 18, 2007 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Just kind of guessed... They want orthogonality... Orthogonality means perpendicular... so I thought it probably had to do with dot products. I looked up the derivative of the dot product, and checked that this idea worked.

When you have a problem that has to do with orthogonality... or angles between vectors... and the magnitudes of the vectors... you're probably dealing with dot product or cross product...

6. Sep 18, 2007 #5
    haha. You's brilliant eh?

I'll let you know how it turns out

7. Sep 18, 2007 #6

learningphysics

Homework Helper

lol Nope. I wish. It's just experience. Just seen these types of problems so many times. So I kind of know what to expect.

cool.

8. Sep 18, 2007 #7
    I forget, do I treat v as a variable or does a vector differentiate differently?

9. Sep 18, 2007 #8

learningphysics

Homework Helper

look up the rule for taking the derivative of a dot product.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DotProduct.html

The [tex]|\vec{v}|[/tex] is just a scalar... so just differentiate that normally, like an ordinary variable.

10. Sep 19, 2007 #9
    [tex]\vec{v}[/tex].[tex]\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/tex] + [tex]\vec{v}[/tex].[tex]\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/tex] = 2l[tex]\vec{v}[/tex]l

Hows that look so far?

11. Sep 19, 2007 #10
    That's not actually equal is it?

12. Sep 19, 2007 #11

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Left side looks good. Right side you need to multiply that by [tex]\frac{d|\vec{v}|}{dt}[/tex], using the chain rule. because you're taking the derviative wrt t.

13. Sep 19, 2007 #12
    Right... oops. (embarrasing)

that gives me
    2[tex]\vec{v}[/tex][tex]\vec{a}[/tex] = 2l[tex]\vec{v}[/tex]l [tex]\vec{a}[/tex]

and v and a are perpendicular?

14. Sep 19, 2007 #13

learningphysics

Homework Helper

careful. left side looks good, but not the right side. [tex]\vec{a} = \frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/tex]. But [tex]\frac{d|\vec{v}|}{dt}[/tex] isn't the same as [tex]\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/tex] (ie think of the velocity keeping the same magnitude but changing directions.)

You know the magnitude of the velocity is constant for this question, hence [tex]\frac{d|\vec{v}|}{dt}[/tex] is 0.

15. Sep 19, 2007 #14
    Right, the slope of a scalar.
    So, 2va = 0?

16. Sep 19, 2007 #15

learningphysics

Homework Helper

yeah, [tex]2\vec{v}\cdot\vec{a} = 0[/tex]...hence [tex]\vec{v}\cdot\vec{a} = 0[/tex] if the dot product of two vectors is 0, then they are orthogonal/perpendicular.

17. Sep 19, 2007 #16
    To prove the converse that if [tex]\dot{v}[/tex](t) is orthogonal to v(t), (that v(t) is constant), do i start in the same manner?

18. Sep 19, 2007 #17
    a dv/dt + v da/dt = 0

this leaves me with the derivative of acceleration though...

19. Sep 19, 2007 #18

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Do the same thing as the first part... except backwards...

basically it's just the reverse of the steps starting with the end...

start with [tex]\vec{v}\cdot\vec{a} = 0[/tex]

20. Sep 19, 2007 #19
    integrate instead of derive?

21. Sep 19, 2007 #20

learningphysics

Homework Helper

yes, exactly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?