Prove the BAC CAB Rule: Ax(BxC)=B(A.C)-C(A.B)

• Thread starter shaiqbashir
  • Start date
In summary, Tedious explained how the "BAC CAB Rule" works. He wrote out the equation for B x C and showed how to get the x-component from it. He then said that someone else could try the same thing and that he wasn't sure which part was unclear to the person. Finally, Daniel asked why Tedious didn't just explain the last step in more detail. Tedious replied that the person should try working out the calculation themselves and see what they get.
shaiqbashir
Hi!

Please can u prove the following rule!

Ax(BxC)=B(A.C)-C(A.B)

this is usually remembered as "BAC CAB Rule"

i just couldn't solve this question.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Tedious, but straightforward is just writing out the components.
Try verifying the equation one component a time.
For example, the x-component of A X (B X C) is:

[tex]A_y(B_xC_y-B_yC_x)-A_z(B_zC_x-B_xC_z)[/tex]
, which can be rewritten as:
[tex]B_x(A_yC_y+A_zC_z)-C_x(A_yB_y+A_zB_z)[/tex]

you almost have the x component of B(AC) in the left term and the x-component of C(AB) in the right term. They both miss the same term [itex]B_x(A_xC_x)[/itex] so you can just add it to both terms, since they will cancel. This establishes the relation for the x-component. Do the same for the other two (or try to be smart and use some symmetry argument).

Well thanks for ur reply but can u please tell me in some more detail so that i can understand it more properly!

Thanks!

I`m not sure which part is unclear to you.

What I meant was:
Ax(BxC)=B(A.C)-C(A.B)
is true if and only if all three components for the vector on the left and on the right are equal. Equating one component a time makes it less cluttery.

Let:
[tex]\vec A = A_x \vec i + A_y \vec j + A_z \vec k[/tex]
[tex]\vec B = B_x \vec i + B_y \vec j + B_z \vec k[/tex]
[tex]\vec C = C_x \vec i + C_y \vec j + C_z \vec k[/tex]

Let D = B x C:
The expression for B x C is:
[tex] \vec D = (B_yC_z-B_zC_y)\vec i + (B_zC_x-B_xC_z)\vec j +(B_xC_y-B_yC_x)\vec k[/tex]
The x-component of A x D is:
[tex]A_yD_z-A_yD_x[/tex]
The components of D can be gotten from the expression from B x C, so:

[tex](\vec A \times \vec D)_x = A_yD_z-A_zD_y=A_y(B_xC_y-B_yC_x)-A_z(B_zC_x-B_xC_z)[/tex]
[tex]=B_x(A_yC_y+A_zC_z)-C_x(A_yB_y+A_zB_z)=[/tex]
[tex]B_x(A_xC_x+A_yC_y+A_zC_z)-C_x(A_xB_x+A_yB_y+A_zB_z)=\left[\vec B (\vec A \cdot \vec C)-\vec C(\vec A \cdot \vec B)\right]_x[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes Jamison Lahman
I think using euclidean tensors is the elegant way to do it...

Daniel.

Thank u very much Galileo but would u please explain ur last step for me that how u convert the 2nd last step to the last step.
PLzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Thanks a lot again

Why don't YOU try working out the calculation yourself and see what you get?

Related to Prove the BAC CAB Rule: Ax(BxC)=B(A.C)-C(A.B)

1. What is the BAC CAB rule?

The BAC CAB rule is a mathematical identity that states that the product of the cross product of two vectors A and B, and the cross product of another two vectors B and C, is equal to the cross product of the vectors B and the dot product of A and C, subtracted by the cross product of the vectors C and the dot product of A and B.

2. How is the BAC CAB rule used in science?

The BAC CAB rule is commonly used in physics, particularly in the study of electromagnetism and mechanics. It is also used in computer graphics and robotics to calculate the orientation of objects in 3D space.

3. What is the proof for the BAC CAB rule?

The proof for the BAC CAB rule involves using the properties of vector algebra and the definition of the cross and dot products. It can be derived by expanding both sides of the equation Ax(BxC)=B(A.C)-C(A.B) using the properties of vector products.

4. Can the BAC CAB rule be applied to non-vector quantities?

No, the BAC CAB rule is specific to vector quantities and cannot be applied to non-vector quantities. It relies on the properties of vector algebra, such as vector addition, multiplication, and the dot and cross product.

5. How does the BAC CAB rule relate to the vector triple product?

The BAC CAB rule is essentially the vector triple product expanded. It is a useful identity that makes it easier to solve problems involving vector products and is often used in place of the vector triple product for convenience.