1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove the property of skew symmetric matrix

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, I need to prove that if S is a skew-symmetric matrix with NXN dimension and B is any square real-valued matrix, therefore the product of transpose(B), S, and B is also askew symmetric matrix

2. Relevant equations
    This is what I know so far.
    1.Transpose(S) = -S within R^N
    2. When N is odd number, S is invertible
    3. The sum of all diagonal elements of S is 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. I try to multiply Transpose(B) with S and then with B to see if all the diagonal elements of the product is 0. Apparently, it does not turn out as I thought.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is Transpose(AB) in terms of Transpose(A) and Transpose(B) for any matrices A and B? What is Transpose(Transpose(B)*S*B)?

4. Sep 8, 2008 #3
    Thank you for the quick post.

Tranpose (AB) = Transpose(A) * Transpose(B) for any A and Bmatrices.
    Transpose( Transpose(B) * S * B) = B * Transpose(S) * Transpose(B).

Am I correct? What would be the next step to approach the end goal?

5. Sep 8, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. Transpose(AB)=Transpose(B)*Transpose(A). The order of the matrices is reversed.

6. Sep 8, 2008 #5
    Oh my mistake... so anyway, that would make Transpose (Transpose(B) * S * B) = Transpose(B) *Transpose(S) * B, correct?

How would this lead to the proof that Transpose(B) * S * B is a skew-symmetric matrix for S is a symmetric matrix and B is any square real-valued matrix?

7. Sep 8, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now use Transpose(S)=(-S). A matrix is skew symmetric if that condition holds. So you just want to show that if C=Transpose(B)*S*B, then Tranpose(C)=-C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?