Prove the property of skew symmetric matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that if S is a skew-symmetric matrix and B is any square real-valued matrix, then the product of transpose(B), S, and B is also a skew-symmetric matrix. The equations and attempts at a solution involve using transpose operations and showing that the resulting matrix is skew-symmetric.
frostshoxx

Homework Statement

Hi, I need to prove that if S is a skew-symmetric matrix with NXN dimension and B is any square real-valued matrix, therefore the product of transpose(B), S, and B is also askew symmetric matrix

Homework Equations

This is what I know so far.
1.Transpose(S) = -S within R^N
2. When N is odd number, S is invertible
3. The sum of all diagonal elements of S is 0

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I try to multiply Transpose(B) with S and then with B to see if all the diagonal elements of the product is 0. Apparently, it does not turn out as I thought.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is Transpose(AB) in terms of Transpose(A) and Transpose(B) for any matrices A and B? What is Transpose(Transpose(B)*S*B)?

Thank you for the quick post.

Tranpose (AB) = Transpose(A) * Transpose(B) for any A and Bmatrices.
Transpose( Transpose(B) * S * B) = B * Transpose(S) * Transpose(B).

Am I correct? What would be the next step to approach the end goal?

No. Transpose(AB)=Transpose(B)*Transpose(A). The order of the matrices is reversed.

Oh my mistake... so anyway, that would make Transpose (Transpose(B) * S * B) = Transpose(B) *Transpose(S) * B, correct?

How would this lead to the proof that Transpose(B) * S * B is a skew-symmetric matrix for S is a symmetric matrix and B is any square real-valued matrix?

frostshoxx said:
Oh my mistake... so anyway, that would make Transpose (Transpose(B) * S * B) = Transpose(B) *Transpose(S) * B, correct?

How would this lead to the proof that Transpose(B) * S * B is a skew-symmetric matrix for S is a symmetric matrix and B is any square real-valued matrix?

Now use Transpose(S)=(-S). A matrix is skew symmetric if that condition holds. So you just want to show that if C=Transpose(B)*S*B, then Tranpose(C)=-C.

1. What is a skew symmetric matrix?

A skew symmetric matrix is a square matrix in which the elements below the main diagonal are equal in magnitude to the elements above the main diagonal, but with opposite signs. In other words, the matrix is equal to its negative transpose.

2. How do you prove that a matrix is skew symmetric?

To prove that a matrix is skew symmetric, you must show that it is equal to its negative transpose. This can be done by taking the transpose of the matrix and then multiplying it by -1. If the result is equal to the original matrix, then it is skew symmetric.

3. What are the properties of a skew symmetric matrix?

Some properties of a skew symmetric matrix include:

• The main diagonal of a skew symmetric matrix contains only zeros.
  • The determinant of a skew symmetric matrix is either 0 or a negative number.
  • The eigenvalues of a skew symmetric matrix are either 0, purely imaginary, or a pair of opposite imaginary numbers.

4. Can a non-square matrix be skew symmetric?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be skew symmetric. The definition of a skew symmetric matrix requires that it be a square matrix with the same number of rows and columns.

5. What are some real-world applications of skew symmetric matrices?

Skew symmetric matrices have many applications in physics, engineering, and computer science. Some examples include:

• In robotics, skew symmetric matrices are used to represent transformations and rotations in 3D space.
  • In fluid dynamics, skew symmetric matrices are used to represent the vorticity of a fluid.
  • In computer graphics, skew symmetric matrices are used to represent 3D rotations and translations.