Prove this is a right triangle?

In summary, the given triangle with sides n^2+1, n^2-1, and 2n can be proven to be a right triangle by using the Pythagorean theorem. By converting the theorem, we can determine the hypotenuse by finding the sum of the square of two sides and checking if it equals the square of the third side. In this case, n must be a positive number and n^2+1 will always be the longest side. By substituting in the values, we can see that n^2+1 is indeed equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, thus proving that it is a right triangle.
aisha
How can I prove that a right triangle whose sides are n^2+1 , n^2-1, and 2n is indeed a right triangle? The hint is to use the pythagorean theorem which is a^2 + b^2 = C^2 . I don't know what to do? i tried squaring the 3 terms but I can't get the first 2 to equal the last term (term c which is probably 2n^2) Please help me someone I don't get this at all :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
It just says it is a right triangle. It doesn't say which side is the hypotenuse. Why don't you try making (n^2+1) as your c value.

\(\displaystyle n^2+1, n^2-1 , 2n\)
The proof of these three sides form a right-angled triangle is quite easy by Pyth. theorem.
Three sides, just get the sum of the square of two sides, if it is equal to the third side, it is indeed a right ... by converse of Pyth.theorem.
There are 3 combination (3C2) but since n must be a postive number, n^2 is the longest side(unless n=1, which is rejected by n >1), therefore, just test for the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

Last edited:
You could use the idea that

[tex] a^2 + b^2 + c^2 = a^2 + b^2 +c^2 [/tex]

[tex] a^2 + b^2 + c^2 = c^2 +c^2 [/tex]

[tex] a^2 + b^2 + c^2 = 2c^2 [/tex]

so

[tex] \sqrt{\frac{a^2 + b^2 + c^2}{2}} = c [/tex]

If get one of the sides of your triangle when your work the left part of the equation then it is a right triangle, and you know that's the hypotenuse.

Part you might get stuck:

[tex] \sqrt{n^4 + 2n^2 +1} = c [/tex]

[tex] \sqrt{(n^2 + 1)^2} = c [/tex]

[tex] n^2 + 1 = c [/tex]

Last edited:
That's a slick one cyclovenom, but why not just determine which of those three numbers is largest and set it equal to c? n^2+1 is obviously >= 2n and n^2-1 for all n>=1 which are the only valid values of n that would give you non-negative sides.

a^2 + b^2 = c^2

(2n)^2 + (n^2-1)^2 = (n^2+1)^2

4n^2 + n^4 - 2n^2 + 1 = n^4 + 2n^2 + 1

n^4 + (4n^2 - 2n^2) + 1 = n^4 + 2n^2 + 1

n cannot be 1.

Thanks sooo Much !

Thanks sooo much everyone :smile: I'm so happy I got this question, you guys helped soo much. I understand the question so much better now thank you once again YAY! Wow you guys are sooo Smart, I really appreciate it..

You are welcome.
My method is learned from my textbook last year.
It is the conversion of Pyth. theorem. 3,4,5 Determine the hypotheuse ( i.e. 5)
3^2+4^2=25
5^2=25
So it is a right-angled triangle(converse of Pyth. theorem)
In this case, it is obvious that n>1, and n^2+1 bigger than others ( since n^2+1-2n = (n-1)^2, which the smallest value is 0 which in other words, which n attains 1 , there are two equal side[ But n >1 ])

1. How do you prove that a triangle is a right triangle?

The most common way to prove that a triangle is a right triangle is by using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

2. What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is a mathematical principle that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. It is often used to prove that a triangle is a right triangle.

3. Can you prove that a triangle is a right triangle without using the Pythagorean theorem?

Yes, there are other methods to prove that a triangle is a right triangle. One way is by using the properties of similar triangles, where one of the angles is known to be a right angle. Another method is by using trigonometric ratios to find the measurements of the angles in the triangle.

4. How do you use trigonometric ratios to prove a triangle is a right triangle?

Trigonometric ratios, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, can be used to find the measurements of the angles in a triangle. If one of the angles is known to be a right angle, then the trigonometric ratios can be used to find the measurements of the other two angles. If the measurements match with the known properties of a right triangle (i.e. one angle measures 90 degrees), then the triangle can be proven to be a right triangle.

5. Can a triangle be a right triangle if it does not have a right angle?

No, by definition, a right triangle must have one angle that measures 90 degrees. If a triangle does not have a 90 degree angle, then it cannot be considered a right triangle.