Proving 2^n>=(n+1)^2 by mathematical induction

In summary, the problem is to determine the set of natural numbers n for which the inequality 2^n>=(n+1)^2 holds. The base case of n=6 has already been dealt with, and the goal is to show that the inequality holds for n=k+1. However, there is uncertainty on how to manipulate the inequality in order to apply the induction hypothesis of 2^n>=(n+1)^2. It is suggested to try replacing k+1 in both terms and manipulating the inequality in order to either arrive at a true expression or reach the induction hypothesis. This ensures that the initial inequality, which is assumed to be true, is always present.
morbius27
Hello, In this problem I am trying to Determine the exact set of natural numbers n for which the inequality 2^n>=(n+1)^2 holds. (equation (1))

I have already dealt with the base case where n=6, (since the inequality does not hold for n<6), and so (1) holds for n=k, and I need to show that it holds for n=k+1. It's the algebra that I really can't figure out. I tried 2^(k+1)=2^k*2>=2*(k+1)^2 (by induction hypothesis).

I need to get this in the form 2^(k+1)>=((k+1)+1)^2, but I have no idea how to get to this point from here. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
morbius27 said:
2^(k+1)=2^k*2>=2*(k+1)^2 (by induction hypothesis).

Your induction hypothesis is wrong, you have to consider n=k+1 in both sides of the inequality that you have as the thesis, [tex]2^n\geq(n+1)^2[/tex], which is what you are looking for.

well I know you have to start with one side of the inequality by plugging in k+1 for n, and then manipulating it to the point where you can apply the induction hypothesis (2^n>=(n+1)^2) and then more manipulation to get to 2^(k+1)>=((k+1)+1)^2...I just don't know which side of the inequality to start with (2^(k+1) or ((k+1)+1)^2 and the necessary algebra to arrive at the conclusion.

I don't usually do as you say, but for me it is much easier to put k+1 in both therms and try one of two things, to get to a true expression where the initial inequation is evident, or to try to get to the induction hypothesis from the initial equation also.

In both of these ways I can always be sure to be getting the right thing because the initial inequation, that we assume as true, is always there.

Try this way, if you get stuck in the algebra just ask.

1. Why is mathematical induction used to prove this inequality?

Mathematical induction is a powerful tool in proving mathematical statements, especially those involving sequences or inequalities. It allows us to prove that a statement holds for all values in a certain range by showing that it holds for a specific value (the base case) and then showing that if it holds for one value, it also holds for the next value (the inductive step).

2. What is the base case for this proof?

The base case for this proof is when n=1. Plugging in n=1, we get 2^1 = 2 and (1+1)^2 = 4, which shows that the inequality holds for the initial value of n.

3. How do you show that the inductive step holds?

To show that the inductive step holds, we assume that the statement holds for some arbitrary value of n. Then, we use this assumption to prove that it also holds for the next value of n, which is n+1. In this case, we would plug in n+1 for n in the inequality and use algebraic manipulation to show that it is still true.

4. Can you explain the algebraic steps in this proof?

Sure! First, we assume that the statement holds for some arbitrary value of n. This means that 2^n >= (n+1)^2. Then, we multiply both sides by 2 to get 2^(n+1) >= 2(n+1)^2. Next, we expand the right side to get 2^(n+1) >= 2n^2 + 4n + 2. We can then rewrite the left side as 2^n * 2, and use our initial assumption that 2^n >= (n+1)^2 to substitute in 2(n+1)^2 for 2^n. This gives us 2^(n+1) >= 2(n+1)^2 >= 2n^2 + 4n + 2, which is true by the transitive property of inequalities.

5. Are there any other methods to prove this inequality?

Yes, there are other methods to prove this inequality, such as using direct proof or contradiction. However, mathematical induction is often the most efficient and straightforward method for proving statements involving sequences or inequalities.