Is the Set {(x,y) in R^2: y >= 1/x, x >= 0} Convex?

• Thread starter WilcoRogers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convex Set
In summary: I know that a function is convex if its second derivative is non-negative, but I don't know how to use that fact to prove that the given set is convex. And yes, I have checked my textbook and notes, but they don't seem to cover this specific type of problem.I know that a function is convex if its second derivative is non-negative, but I don't know how to use that fact to prove that the given set is convex. And yes, I have checked my textbook and notes, but they don't seem to cover this specific type of problem.In summary, the given set in R^2 is convex because for any two points within the set, the line segment joining them is also within the set. This can
WilcoRogers

Homework Statement

Using the definition of a convex set, show that the set in R^2
[itex]\{(x,y) \in R^2 \colon y \ge 1/x, x\ge 0\} [/itex]

Homework Equations

An object is convex if for every pair of points within the object, every point on the straight line segment that joins them is also within the object.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution involves playing with inequalities, I just don't know how to set this one up. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
WilcoRogers said:

Homework Statement

Using the definition of a convex set, show that the set in R^2
[itex]\{(x,y) \in R^2 \colon y \ge 1/x, x\ge 0\} [/itex]

Homework Equations

An object is convex if for every pair of points within the object, every point on the straight line segment that joins them is also within the object.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution involves playing with inequalities, I just don't know how to set this one up. Any help is appreciated.

Call the given set S. Suppose ##(x_1,y_1) \in S \text{ and } (x_2,y_2) \in S.## First write out in detail what these statements mean, then go on from there.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Call the given set S. Suppose ##(x_1,y_1) \in S \text{ and } (x_2,y_2) \in S.## First write out in detail what these statements mean, then go on from there.

RGV

I know that we can say [itex]y_1\ge 1/x_1[/itex] and [itex]y_2\ge 1/x_2[/itex], and that we can add those constraints, but they don't get me anywhere. I know that I have to show, somehow that [itex](1-\lambda)P_1 + \lambda P_2[/itex] is also in the set. I just don't know how to set up the proof and inequalities, or how that whole thing works. I very much understand the idea of convexity, I'm just very shaky on the process of actually taking a function and showing it's convex, algebraically.

WilcoRogers said:
I know that we can say [itex]y_1\ge 1/x_1[/itex] and [itex]y_2\ge 1/x_2[/itex], and that we can add those constraints, but they don't get me anywhere. I know that I have to show, somehow that [itex](1-\lambda)P_1 + \lambda P_2[/itex] is also in the set. I just don't know how to set up the proof and inequalities, or how that whole thing works. I very much understand the idea of convexity, I'm just very shaky on the process of actually taking a function and showing it's convex, algebraically.

Do you know some simple characterizations of a convex function? For example, is the function f(x) = 1/x convex in the region {x > 0}? How do you know? If you were able to say one way or another that f(x) is or is not convex, would that help you solve the original problem?

RGV

EDIT : Even better try using what RGV said.

If you SHOW that both (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are BOTH in your set S and the line you draw between them is still also inside your set, then the set is convex.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Do you know some simple characterizations of a convex function? For example, is the function f(x) = 1/x convex in the region {x > 0}? How do you know? If you were able to say one way or another that f(x) is or is not convex, would that help you solve the original problem?

RGV

Well i know the function is convex on that region, intuitively, because of how it looks. I know the definition of a convex line, but I can't show it. I feel, given the nature of this problem, the answer is staring me in the face, but I can't seem to get an algebraic statement that makes sense.

WilcoRogers said:
Well i know the function is convex on that region, intuitively, because of how it looks. I know the definition of a convex line, but I can't show it. I feel, given the nature of this problem, the answer is staring me in the face, but I can't seem to get an algebraic statement that makes sense.

Edited my last post.

Zondrina said:
EDIT : Even better try using what RGV said.

If you SHOW that both (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are BOTH in your set S. That means you can draw a straight line between them which is entirely contained in the set, does it not?

Uhh not if the set has a hole in the middle... then it's not convex.

WilcoRogers said:
Uhh not if the set has a hole in the middle... then it's not convex.

Sorry i had a hiccup there, i also meant to say your line is also contained within the set.

So start by showing you have two points in the set, and then assume that some straight line y = mx also fits the constraints of your set and will join them together.

WilcoRogers said:

Does your textbook or course notes really not have the necessary material on checking for convexity of a function? If this is the case, a simple Google search will give you more than you need.

RGV

Related to Is the Set {(x,y) in R^2: y >= 1/x, x >= 0} Convex?

1. What is a convex set?

A convex set is a set of points where the line segment connecting any two points in the set lies completely within the set. In other words, a convex set is a set that does not have any indentations or "dents" in its boundary.

2. How can I prove that a set is convex?

One way to prove that a set is convex is by using the definition of convexity and showing that the line segment connecting any two points in the set lies completely within the set. Another way is to use the convex combination property, which states that if two points are in a convex set, then any point on the line segment connecting them is also in the set.

3. What are some common examples of convex sets?

Some common examples of convex sets include circles, polygons, and ellipses. Other examples include the interior of a triangle, the interior of a square, and the interior of a cube.

4. Can a set be both convex and non-convex?

No, a set cannot be both convex and non-convex. A set is either convex or non-convex, based on whether or not the line segment connecting any two points in the set lies completely within the set.

5. Why is proving a set is convex important in mathematics?

Proving a set is convex is important in mathematics because many optimization problems involve maximizing or minimizing a function over a convex set. By proving that a set is convex, we can ensure that the optimization problem has a unique solution and can be solved efficiently using various mathematical techniques.