Proving Simple Connectedness: Intersection and Union of Two Spaces

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, Let X1,X2 be two spaces which are simple connected, and let their intersection be path connected. Showing that their union is simple connected.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Let X1,X2 be two spaces which are simple connected, and let their intersection be path connected, show that their union is simple connected.

I think I only need to show that their intersection is simply connected, cause then I think that the fundamental group of X1UX2 is isomorphic to to th union of the fundamental groups of X1,X2 and their intersection (correct?).

Well, if we look at a point x in the intersection, then there's a loop in X1, and a loop in X2, if we look at the path that is common to both loops in the intersection then it's also a loop (if we choose the direction of both loops to be counterclockwise or clockwise) in the intersection and its homotopic to the constant loop, cause this loop is both in X1 and X2, that way we get that the intersection is simply connected.

Is this way off?

Physics news on Phys.org
X1 and X2 are open in the set X1UX2.

well think of the example of the upper and lower hemispheres of a sphere. your statement on simple connectivity of the intersection, a circle, is false but the desired statement on the simple connectivity of the union, the sphere, is still true.

another example however is the upper and lower halves of a circle, both s.c. but the intersection is disconnected and the union not s.c.

doesn't that sound very similar... to a simple version of Van-Kampen's theorem?? I think you need their intersection be simply connected.

mathwonk, why does the intersection of the two halves of the circle are disconnected?
this intersection is the diameter along the horizontal axis, if this interval was broken into more than one part then it would be disconnected (separated), but it's not.

tim_lou said:
doesn't that sound very similar... to a simple version of Van-Kampen's theorem?? I think you need their intersection be simply connected.

So if it's simply connected, how would you go around it?

loop quantum gravity said:
mathwonk, why does the intersection of the two halves of the circle are disconnected?
this intersection is the diameter along the horizontal axis, if this interval was broken into more than one part then it would be disconnected (separated), but it's not.

The intersection are two points, not the diameter. The circle S^1; not the disc, so there is no interior.

loop quantum gravity said:
So if it's simply connected, how would you go around it?

lqg, you're paying too much attention to the wrong part of tim_lou's remark. Check out Van Kampen's Theorem.

So your'e telling me this question is just another implication of a known theorem?!

I'm starting hating university courses.
(-:

Ok Iv'e, looked for Van Kmepen-siefret theorem, and if the intersection is simply connected then [tex]\pi_1(X1,x_0)*\pi_1(X2,x_0)[/tex] is isomorphic to [tex] \pi_1(X1UX2,x_0)[/tex] where * is the product of functions.
from here it's really obvious.

jesus christ, we just haven't learned anything in this course, can you prove the problem here without this theorem?

1. What is the definition of simple connectedness?

Simple connectedness is a topological property of a space that means the space is connected and any loop can be contracted to a point within the space.

2. How do you prove simple connectedness?

To prove simple connectedness, you must show that the space is connected and that any loop within the space can be continuously deformed into a single point without leaving the space.

3. What is the importance of proving simple connectedness?

Proving simple connectedness is important in topology because it helps us understand the structure and properties of a given space. It also allows us to classify and distinguish between different spaces.

4. Can a space be simply connected but not connected?

No, a space cannot be simply connected if it is not connected. This is because simple connectedness requires a space to be connected first.

5. What is the relationship between simple connectedness and intersection/union of two spaces?

The intersection and union of two spaces can help determine the simple connectedness of the combined space. If the intersection is simply connected and the union is connected, then the combined space is also simply connected.