Proving stable equilibrium: Rotating circular hoop

In summary: I need to do?Yes, I did get an equation of a harmonic oscillator and, hence, found the frequency. However, my question is that is this sufficient for showing that ##\theta_0## is indeed stable equilibrium, i.e. that since we have equation of a harmonic oscillator, we conclude that it is stable...or is there something else that I need to do?In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for a bead to sit at a fixed angle on a rotating circular hoop, as well as the stability of this equilibrium position. The equation of motion for the bead is derived using Lagrangian methods, and the condition for the bead to sit at a fixed angle is found to be
JyJ

Homework Statement

A circular hoop of radius R rotates with angular frequency ω about a vertical axis coincident with its diameter. A bead of mass m slides frictionlessly under gravity on the hoop. Let θ be the bead’s angular position relative to the vertical (so that θ = 0 corresponds to the bead being at the bottom of the hoop).
Under what conditions can the bead sit at a fixed angle θ_0 not equal to 0 or π?
Show that this situation corresponds to a stable equilibrium, and determine the frequency of small oscillations about this stable equilibrium.

Homework Equations

In cylindrical coordinates:
$$\vec{v} = \dot{r}\vec{e_r} + r\dot{\theta}\vec{e_\theta} + rsin(\theta)\dot{\phi}\vec{e_\phi}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

By using Lagrangian methods I found that the equation of motion is:
$$mR^2\ddot{\theta} + mgRsin(\theta)-mR^2(\omega)^2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)=0$$ which agrees with the solution given.
By plugging:
$$\ddot{\theta} = \dot{\theta} = 0$$
For the first question I got the following as a condition on θ_0:
$$\omega = \sqrt{\frac{g}{cos(\theta_0)}}$$
I also then computed the frequency of small deviations from equilibrium by using Taylor expansion with:
$$\theta = \theta_0 + a$$
where a is the small deviation of order h from stable equilibrium. Them by getting rid off terms of order h2 or higher I found the frequency to be:
$$R^2\ddot{a} + gRsin(a+\theta_0) - \frac{gR^2}{cos(\theta_0)}sin(a+\theta_0)cos(a+\theta_0)=0
\\ R^2\ddot{a} + gR(a+\theta_0)-\frac{gR^2}{cos(\theta_0)}(a+\theta_0) = 0$$
which leads to frequency equal to:
$$\frac{\frac{Rg}{cos(\theta_0)}-g}{R}$$
This is how I think the frequency would be found.
Now, the only bit that is left to prove is to show that θ=θ_0 indeed corresponds to the stable equilibrium. I am having difficulties with this part as I am not sure how to show it using the information I have. Typically I would be able to estimate stable equilibrium from the minimum of the potential but in this case my potential is dependent on both y and x and so I am unsure what to do:
$$ U = -mgRcos(\theta) = -mgRcos(arctan\frac{y}{x}) $$

I would appreciate any comments and advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
JyJ said:
For the first question I got the following as a condition on θ_0:
$$\omega = \sqrt{\frac{g}{cos(\theta_0)}}$$
This equation is dimensionally incorrect. You probably need a factor of ##R## in the denominator.
I also don't see how you got from the first line to the second.
$$R^2\ddot{a} + gRsin(a+\theta_0) - \frac{gR^2}{cos(\theta_0)}sin(a+\theta_0)cos(a+\theta_0)=0
For example, ##\sin (a+\theta_0)=\sin a \cos \theta_0+ \cos a \sin \theta_0##. This is exact. For small ##a##, you get (to first order) ##\sin(a+\theta_0)\approx a\cos \theta_0+\sin \theta_0##. It seems that you are assuming that ##\theta_0## is small when it isn't. For the other term you can save yourself some work and write ##\sin (a+\theta_0) \cos (a+\theta_0) = \frac{1}{2}\sin[2(a+\theta_0)]## then expand the sine to first order as before.

kuruman said:
This equation is dimensionally incorrect. You probably need a factor of ##R## in the denominator.
I also don't see how you got from the first line to the second.
For example, ##\sin (a+\theta_0)=\sin a \cos \theta_0+ \cos a \sin \theta_0##. This is exact. For small ##a##, you get (to first order) ##\sin(a+\theta_0)\approx a\cos \theta_0+\sin \theta_0##. It seems that you are assuming that ##\theta_0## is small when it isn't. For the other term you can save yourself some work and write ##\sin (a+\theta_0) \cos (a+\theta_0) = \frac{1}{2}\sin[2(a+\theta_0)]## then expand the sine to first order as before.
Thank you for your reply! Yes, you are correct there is a missing R in the denominator for w_0 and yes, I should not have treated θ_0 as a small quantity - my mistake. This all makes sense now though!
The question also asks to show that θ_0 is a stable equilibrium, how can I can show this mathematically? I rearranged the governing equation with the deduced condition on w_0 and got this:
$$\ddot{\theta} = \frac{g}{R}sin(\theta)(\frac{cos(\theta)}{cos(\theta_0)} -1)$$
and plotted an easier case which is when θ_0 = pi/3 and g/R = 1 (graph here):
$$ \ddot{\theta} = 2sin(\theta)cos(\theta) - sin(\theta)$$
from which it doesn't look that pi/3 is an equilibrium point at all, because at this value we get that the whole equation is zero. Am I confusing things up?

I suggest that you go back to the equation of motion
$$mR^2\ddot{\theta} + mgR\sin(\theta)-mR^2(\omega)^2\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)=0$$
Leave ##\omega## as is; it is a given quantity after all. Rewrite this equation in the vicinity of ##\theta_0## as you started doing
$$R\ddot{a} + gsin(\theta_0+a)-R(\omega)^2\sin(\theta_0+a)\cos(\theta_0+a)=0$$
Use trig identities to expand the trig functions, then expand the trig functions themselves keeping only first order terms in ##a##. For example,
$$\sin(\theta_0+a)=\sin\theta_0 \cos a+\sin a \cos\theta_0 \approx \sin\theta_0 +a \cos\theta_0.$$You should be able to cast this equation into the harmonic oscillator equation in the form ##\ddot{a} + \omega_s^2 a+C=0##, where ##\omega_s## is the frequency of small oscillations about ##\theta_0## and ##C## is a constant related to the equilibrium position.

kuruman said:
I suggest that you go back to the equation of motion
$$mR^2\ddot{\theta} + mgR\sin(\theta)-mR^2(\omega)^2\sin(\theta)\cos(\theta)=0$$
Leave ##\omega## as is; it is a given quantity after all. Rewrite this equation in the vicinity of ##\theta_0## as you started doing
$$R\ddot{a} + gsin(\theta_0+a)-R(\omega)^2\sin(\theta_0+a)\cos(\theta_0+a)=0$$
Use trig identities to expand the trig functions, then expand the trig functions themselves keeping only first order terms in ##a##. For example,
$$\sin(\theta_0+a)=\sin\theta_0 \cos a+\sin a \cos\theta_0 \approx \sin\theta_0 +a \cos\theta_0.$$You should be able to cast this equation into the harmonic oscillator equation in the form ##\ddot{a} + \omega_s^2 a+C=0##, where ##\omega_s## is the frequency of small oscillations about ##\theta_0## and ##C## is a constant related to the equilibrium position.
Yes, I did get an equation of a harmonic oscillator and, hence, found the frequency. However, my question is that is this sufficient for showing that ##\theta_0## is indeed stable equilibrium, i.e. that since we have equation of a harmonic oscillator, we conclude that it is stable equilibrium?

Look at the equation you got in ##\ddot{\theta}##. Does it predict a restoring torque for small displacements ##\pm a## from ##\theta_0##?

kuruman said:
Look at the equation you got in ##\ddot{\theta}##. Does it predict a restoring torque for small displacements ##\pm a## from ##\theta_0##?
Thank you, I got it!

1. What is stable equilibrium in a rotating circular hoop?

Stable equilibrium in a rotating circular hoop refers to a state in which the hoop is spinning around its axis without any external force acting on it. This means that the hoop maintains its position and orientation in space, and any slight disturbance will cause it to return to its original state.

2. How is stable equilibrium proven in a rotating circular hoop?

To prove stable equilibrium in a rotating circular hoop, we need to demonstrate that the hoop's center of mass is below its axis of rotation. This is known as the "hoop theorem" and can be proven using mathematical equations and principles of physics.

3. What factors affect the stability of a rotating circular hoop?

The stability of a rotating circular hoop is affected by factors such as the hoop's mass, the speed of rotation, and the distance between the center of mass and the axis of rotation. A heavier hoop, slower rotation, and a greater distance between the center of mass and axis of rotation will result in a more stable equilibrium.

4. How does the hoop theorem relate to the concept of angular momentum?

The hoop theorem is based on the principle of conservation of angular momentum. This means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. In the case of a rotating circular hoop, the hoop's angular momentum is constant as long as the hoop maintains stable equilibrium.

5. Can stable equilibrium be maintained indefinitely in a rotating circular hoop?

In theory, stable equilibrium can be maintained indefinitely in a rotating circular hoop as long as there are no external forces acting on the hoop. However, in reality, there will always be some factors (such as air resistance) that may eventually cause the hoop to lose stability and stop rotating.