How to Calculate the Inclination of a Tilted Table Using Physics

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary, the conversation is discussing a physics problem involving a puck being shot along a table with a slight incline. The individual describes using the formula v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2 a (x_f - x_i) and F=ma to calculate the acceleration and inclination of the table. There is also a discussion about the direction and magnitude of the puck's velocity. They also mention using the formula y = \frac{1}{2}at^2 to calculate the acceleration down the plane.
Simfish
Gold Member
Hello there,

I'm trying to help someone with a physics problem. So this is what he described:

"(01:01:49) ka0s1337the0ry: if she gives the puck a velocity of 4.6m/s along the length (1.75m) of the table at one end
(01:01:53) RAMEN 3bun BR: are you going to be a freshman in high school?
(01:02:06) ka0s1337the0ry: by the time it reached the other end the puck has drifted 3.60 cm to the right
(01:02:13) B0x0Rr0X0r402: vectors
(01:02:14) B0x0Rr0X0r402: etc
(01:02:17) ka0s1337the0ry: but it still has a velocity component along the length of 4.60m/s.
(01:02:32) ka0s1337the0ry: She conludes correctly that the table is not level and correctly calculates its inclination from the above information.

==

Okay - so we have the formula [tex]v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2 a (x_f - x_i)[/tex] and F=ma.

He says that v_f = 0. Now we have [tex]\delta x = \sqrt{0.036^2+1.75^2}[/tex]

We now have [tex]a = \frac{-4.6^2}{2 \sqrt{0.036^2+1.75^2}} = -6.16 m / s^2[/tex]

Then we use [tex]F = ma[/tex]. Since gravity is acting against the object, [tex]mg \sin \theta = ma[/tex]. Since we want theta, we can have [tex]\theta = \arcsin{(\frac{ma}{mg})[/tex] We get [tex]\theta = -38.08[/tex], which is effectively 38.08 degrees. Is my reasoning correct? He said that most of his classmates got values around 2 degrees

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you mind explaining the question more lucidly? For example, what did you mean by "t still has a velocity component along the length of 4.60m/s"? Did you mean that the overall magnitude of the velocity increased (since it still had the same component of velocity along the original direction and an added component along another direction) or did the magnitude of the velocity remained unchanged?
Furthermore, how is [tex] v_f= 0[/tex]? I thought you just said "it still has a velocity component along the length of 4.60m/s"?

A more direct approach would be to calculate the time of travel

[tex]t = \frac{v_x}{x}[/tex]

and then substitute it in

[tex]y = \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

to obtain the acceleration down the plane, which is given by

[tex]g\sin(\theta)[/tex]

as you correctly remarked. Note that this assumes that the puck was shot along the direction in which the table was not tilted.

Last edited:

What is the "Puck on table problem"?

The "Puck on table problem" refers to a physics problem that involves a puck sliding on a frictionless table and colliding with a wall or another puck. The goal is to determine the final velocities of the puck(s) after the collision.

What is the significance of the "Puck on table problem"?

The "Puck on table problem" is significant because it allows scientists to better understand the principles of energy, momentum, and collisions in physics. It also has real-world applications in areas such as sports, engineering, and transportation.

What are the key factors that affect the outcome of the "Puck on table problem"?

The key factors that affect the outcome of the "Puck on table problem" include the initial velocities of the puck(s), their masses, the angle of the collision, and the coefficient of restitution (a measure of the elasticity of the collision).

What are some common strategies for solving the "Puck on table problem"?

Some common strategies for solving the "Puck on table problem" include using conservation of momentum and energy equations, applying the laws of motion and forces, and using vector analysis to break down the problem into smaller components.

What are some real-world examples of the "Puck on table problem"?

The "Puck on table problem" has many real-world applications, such as predicting the outcome of a billiards game, analyzing the motion of air hockey pucks, and designing car safety features to minimize the impact of collisions. It can also be used to study the dynamics of particles in a gas or liquid.