Pulley System on a Big Block: Solving for Acceleration with Zero Applied Force

In summary, the center of mass does not accelerate because the only external force to the three mass system is a vertical force.
Buffu

Homework Statement

Find the accelaration of ##M_1## in the given system if ##F = 0##.
upload_2017-5-23_17-43-35.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2017-5-23_17-49-23.png

[/B]
##x_3 -x_1 = k \iff \ddot x_3 = \ddot x_1##

and ##h - y_3 + x_3 - x_2 = l \iff \ddot y_3 + \ddot x_2 = \ddot x_3 \qquad (*)##

h is the height of block ##M_1## and ## l ## is the length of string between ##M_2## and ##M_3##.

Now from the Free body diagram,

upload_2017-5-23_17-43-42.png

##-M\ddot x_1 = N^{\prime \prime \prime}##

##T = M_2 \ddot x_2##

##N^{\prime \prime \prime} = -M_3\ddot x_3##

##\therefore -M\ddot x_1 = M_2 \ddot x_2 - M_3\ddot x_3 \qquad (1)##

Now from vertical force on ##M_3##,

##M_3 - T = -M_3 \ddot y_3##

##-M_3 g + M_2 \ddot x_2 = M_3 \ddot y_3##

Substituting for ##\ddot y_3## in ##(*)##

##\ddot x_3 = x_2 + \dfrac{-M_3 g + M_2 \ddot x_2 }{M_3}##

Solving for ##\ddot x_2##

##x_2 = \dfrac {M_3(\ddot x_3 + g) }{M_3 + M_2}##

Substituting this in ##(1)##

##-M_1 \ddot x_1 = \dfrac {M_3M_2(\ddot x_3 + g) }{M_3 + M_2} - M_3\ddot x_3##

Since ##\ddot x_1 = \ddot x_3##

##-M_1 \ddot x_1 = \dfrac {M_3M_2(\ddot x_1 + g) }{M_3 + M_2} - M_3\ddot x_1##

Solving for ##\ddot x_1##

##\ddot x_1 = \dfrac{-g(M_2M_3)}{M_1M_2 + M_3M_1 - M_3^2}##

Which is incorrect as the given answer is ##\ddot x_1 = \dfrac{-g(M_2M_3)}{M_1M_2 + M_3M_1 \color{red}{ + 2M_2M_3 +} M_3^2}##.

What is the problem ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Buffu said:
Now from vertical force on ##M_3##, ##
M_3 - T = -M_3 \ddot y_3##
This equation doesn't look right.

kuruman said:
This equation doesn't look right.
Oh sorry that was a pure typo.
That equation should be,
##M_3g - T = -M\ddot y_3##.

Last edited:
Still not right. On the left side (Fnet) "down" is positive, but on the right side (mass x acceleration) "down" is negative.

Also, check equation (1). The center of mass does not accelerate because the only external force to the three mass system is a vertical force. So ##M_1 \ddot{x}_1+M_2 \ddot{x}_2+M_3 \ddot{x}_3=0##

Likes scottdave
kuruman said:
Still not right. On the left side (Fnet) "down" is positive, but on the right side (mass x acceleration) "down" is negative.

Also, check equation (1). The center of mass does not accelerate because the only external force to the three mass system is a vertical force. So ##M_1 \ddot{x}_1+M_2 \ddot{x}_2+M_3 \ddot{x}_3=0##

Yes I got the correct answer, but I think ##M_3g - T = -M\ddot y_3## is correct because ## y_3## is pointing upwards and so is ##\ddot y_3## and therefore I put a negative sign, since ##M_3g - T## is downwards as you said. Am I wrong ?

No, it's OK. I fooled myself because I didn't notice ##y_3## in the diagram.

1. How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system on a big block works by using a series of wheels and ropes to distribute the weight of an object evenly across multiple points. The rope is looped around the wheels, creating a system of tension and leverage that allows for the lifting and lowering of heavy objects.

2. What are the different types of pulley systems?

There are three main types of pulley systems: fixed, movable, and compound. A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and changes the direction of the force. A movable pulley is attached to the object being moved, reducing the amount of force needed to lift it. A compound pulley is a combination of fixed and movable pulleys, providing both a change in direction and a mechanical advantage.

3. How does a pulley system provide mechanical advantage?

A pulley system provides mechanical advantage by distributing the weight of an object across multiple ropes and wheels. This reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object, making it easier to move. The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is equal to the number of ropes supporting the object.

4. What are some common uses for a pulley system on a big block?

A pulley system on a big block can be used for a variety of tasks, such as lifting heavy objects, moving materials, and operating machinery. It is commonly used in construction, manufacturing, and transportation industries, as well as in everyday tasks like hoisting a flag or raising a sail on a boat.

5. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system can be calculated by dividing the weight of the object being lifted by the amount of force applied to the rope. For example, if a 100-pound object requires 20 pounds of force to lift using a pulley system, the mechanical advantage would be 100/20 = 5. This means that the pulley system provides a 5:1 mechanical advantage, making it 5 times easier to lift the object.