Solving the Pulley Problem: Calculating Ceiling Force

In summary, the ceiling exerts a force of 239 N on the hook connected to the pulley, which is determined by calculating the sum of the tensions in the cable and taking into account the acceleration of the weights and the moment of inertia of the pulley.
negatifzeo

Homework Statement

Two weights are connected by a very light flexible cord that passes over a 50.0 N frictionless pully of radius .300 m. The pulley is a solid uniform disc connected by a hook to the ceiling. What force does the ceiling exert on the hook?

(In the picture shown is the pulley and two weights hanging on each side. One weight is 75 N, on the other side the weight is 125 N)

Homework Equations

t=FL?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the force exerted on the hook will be the total net downward force (or the opposite of it). I also understand that the 125 n wieght on one end of the pulley "makes lighter" the 75 n weight, and vice versa. What I'm not sure of is the relationship how.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try by first drawing a free body diagram of the pulley and the weights. If I'm thinking correctly, you would subtract the 75 N from the 125 N and the remaining 50 N would act on the pulley. I'm assuming, of course, that this system is not in equilibrium.

I know from the back of the book that the answer is 239 N. I'm just puzzled as to how the solution was reached.

Oh, I was just re-reading what I just wrote. Forget my previous post. I was thinking of a different scenario.

negatifzeo said:
I know from the back of the book that the answer is 239 N. I'm just puzzled as to how the solution was reached.

Look at the pulley.

You have the weight of the pulley and what other forces acting on it?

If you are thinking it is the sum of the tensions in the cable that would be a good place to start.

Since the weights are accelerating, one up and the other down, then you need to determine the acceleration. Of course this involves not only the difference in weight, but also the moment of inertia of the pulley itself.

1. How do I calculate the ceiling force of a pulley system?

To calculate the ceiling force of a pulley system, you will need to know the weight of the object being lifted, the number of pulleys in the system, and the mechanical advantage of each pulley. The formula for calculating ceiling force is: Ceiling Force = Weight of Object / (Number of Pulleys * Mechanical Advantage).

2. What is mechanical advantage?

Mechanical advantage is the measure of the force amplification achieved by using a tool, such as a pulley, lever, or incline plane. It is calculated by dividing the output force by the input force. In the case of a pulley system, the mechanical advantage is equal to the number of strands supporting the weight of the object being lifted.

3. How do I determine the number of pulleys in a system?

The number of pulleys in a system is determined by counting the number of strands that support the weight of the object being lifted. For example, if there are three strands supporting the weight, there are three pulleys in the system.

4. Can the ceiling force of a pulley system be greater than the weight of the object being lifted?

Yes, the ceiling force of a pulley system can be greater than the weight of the object being lifted. This is due to the mechanical advantage of the pulley system, which allows for a smaller input force to lift a larger weight. However, the ceiling force cannot exceed the maximum load capacity of the pulley system.

5. How does friction affect the calculation of ceiling force?

Friction can have a significant impact on the calculation of ceiling force in a pulley system. Friction reduces the efficiency of the system, meaning that more input force is required to lift the same weight. It is important to account for friction when calculating the ceiling force to ensure the system is able to lift the intended weight.