Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pure scientist

1. Apr 29, 2010 #1
    HI THERE..................

I have question , IS THERE ANYBODY HOW IS PURELY DEDICATED TO SCIENCE OR/AND MATHEMATICS ???
    OR

HOW LOVE SCIENCE OR/AND MATHEMATICS LIKE CRAZY ?

I WOULD LOVE TO MEAT HIM/HER .....

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2010 #2
    :uhh:

have you tried a university or college near you yet?

4. Apr 29, 2010 #3

Lisa!

Gold Member

WHY ARE YOU YELLING?:biggrin:

:uhh::rofl:

5. May 1, 2010 #4
    I meant that i would like to discussion with him, about pure mathematics .

6. May 1, 2010 #5
    Not that far , but the thing is , i had talked to my professor and my college friends , nobody is that much purely interested in pure mathematics.

7. May 1, 2010 #6
    You are in college, please write in sentences that reflect that fact. :uhh:

8. May 1, 2010 #7
    what do you mean ?

9. May 1, 2010 #8

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Use 'who', not 'how', and 'meet', not 'meat', as in

'is there anybody who is purely dedicated' and

who loves science or/and mathematics like crazy?

I would love to meet him/her.

I suspect English is not the primary language.

10. May 1, 2010 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This forum would be a good place for it. Just start asking questions.

11. May 1, 2010 #10
    hemantc007---

give an example of what you want to discuss, a specific point would be best (not something general, such as 'who want to talk about set theory?)

12. May 1, 2010 #11
    aaaaaa

sorry for the above mistakes.
    I am quit new at this and I tend to such mistakes , But I make sure that I will reduce those mistakes .

13. May 1, 2010 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Don't worry about it, I'm sure Cyrus can't speak your language.

14. May 1, 2010 #13
    IT is just that I want to study pure mathematics and science............ butttttt .............not by the society rules ,that is by obtaining degree .

What I mean is , I need to know is there any university or college where they will allow me to study independently ( that includes , when I will have problem , I need professor around , who are equally devoted to mathematics and science ) .

I am ready to pay there fee . I don't want to bound my self to society rules.

I ensure that I will study all that from the basics, because my motive is to understand it and not just to know it.
    one more thing I don't care about job or money because I need to gain all knowledge (I know that ,that it is impossible in your frame of reference , but it is possible is other frame ).

15. May 1, 2010 #14
    My daughter's mother wanted to get her degree in the Philosophies of Math and Science, but she ran out of money for it and instead took some government grants and studied Biostatistics at the University of Michigan. I recall her telling me that she was originally hoping to pursue a mostly independent course of study.

16. May 1, 2010 #15
    Can you provide me with more details , plz

17. May 1, 2010 #16
    Sure, but please bear in mind that I'm just trying to repeat what she told me more than eight years ago.

As I recall, she was on track to graduate with a dual degree BS in Mathematics and Natural Science with a minor in Philosophy (not sure if I said that right), and was considering her options for graduate studies.

She said that she had spoken with various Professors (at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor), and came to me (we were together at the time, and she was expecting) and told me of her desire to pursue an independent study for her Masters degree, and that she wanted to study the Philosophies of Math and Science. I didn't really see a problem with it, other than to tell her I thought that it would basically leave her with only job prospects in academia, but she thought the same as well and accepted it. I think she actually had to write some proposal to be accepted at U of M with this course of study—but we eventually realized it was completely infeasible financially for us to pay for her Graduate Studies, so she found some government program that was giving a very substantial stipend to students studying Biostatistics and studied that instead.

Anyway, I know it's not much info, but I hope that helped.

18. May 1, 2010 #17

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It normal policy for one to take courses from a proscribed curriculum, which essentially covers what the faculty deem the basic necessity for a given discipline. Usually there is room for electives, and one could conceivably chart an independent course, with the concurrence of the faculty.

19. May 1, 2010 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You are willing to pay to go to university or college, and you want the help from the professors, how is that independent?

It is not essential that you earn degree, you could just not show up for the grad ceremony. So, what "rules of society" would you be forced to follow?

20. May 1, 2010 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a school here in Washington State,http://www.evergreen.edu/" [Broken], which allows students to tailor their curriculum. They allow self-study. It's a liberal arts school with a very unusual approach to education. They don't "spoon feed" their students; you have to be very self-motivated to be successful there.

However, I don't know if they have a large math department. That doesn't mean you can't get a great education there, though. If the school and/or the profs click with you, it may be a good fit.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  21. May 1, 2010 #20
    hemantc007---

maybe it would be best if you would tell us where you're from and age

22. May 2, 2010 #21
    IT might not be enough, but enough for me to have HOPE of achieving it....................

In future if you get more info plz let me know.

THANKS FOR THAT INFORMATION.

23. May 2, 2010 #22
    Here, when I said " independent " I meant that independent from society rule and close to pure part of science .

24. May 2, 2010 #23
    thanks.................

25. May 2, 2010 #24
    SURE .....
    # my name is Hemant Choudhary .

# I am from India (not hard core of my or any other country , these country , religion , cast etc are none of my concern )

# I have completed my 18th last nov. .

ANY more info , just ask for it.

26. May 2, 2010 #25
    IF you all want to know , how much I am dedicated to science and mathematics , then just read about or watch a documentary .-- Dangerous Knowledge --- ON BBC FOUR.

It's about 4 mathematician namely Georg Canto, Ludwig Boltzmann,Kurt Gödel and Alan Turing .
    watch ---http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/dangerous-knowledge/

read ---http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/features/dangerous-knowledge.shtml [Broken]

and it is not just for mathematics but for science too.......

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook