PV Diagram Problem: Calculate Net Heat & Work Done

• Thread starter athula kumara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of net heat and work during a cycle of a reversible engine containing 0.20 mol of ideal monatomic gas. The gas undergoes four processes: isothermal expansion, isovolumic cooling, isothermal compression, and isovolumic heating. The calculated net heat added is 750 J, which is incorrect. The work done during the cycle needs to be considered in relation to the net heat flow, and it is also mentioned that work is not done during isochoric heating and cooling. Further details are needed to determine the correct values.
athula kumara

Homework Statement

A reversible engine contains 0.20 mol of ideal monatomic gas, initially at 600 K and confined to 2.0 L. The gas undergoes the following cycle:
Isothermal expansion to 4.0 L.
Isovolumic cooling to 300 K.
Isothermal compression to 2.0 L.
Isovolumic heating to 600 K.

Calculate the net heat added during the cycle.

I calculated heat add using Q=CvV(P1-P2)/R . I used that equation for two isovolumic process and got the difference
I got 750j, it is wrong, why?

Calculate the net work done during the cycle.

I used W=nRT ln(V1/V2) for isothermal and P(V1-V2) for isothermal compression
asd got the differnce. answer was 190 J again it wrong

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to give more details of your calculations.

athula kumara said:

Homework Statement

A reversible engine contains 0.20 mol of ideal monatomic gas, initially at 600 K and confined to 2.0 L. The gas undergoes the following cycle:
Isothermal expansion to 4.0 L.
Isovolumic cooling to 300 K.
Isothermal compression to 2.0 L.
Isovolumic heating to 600 K.

Calculate the net heat added during the cycle.

I calculated heat add using Q=CvV(P1-P2)/R . I used that equation for two isovolumic process and got the difference
I got 750j, it is wrong, why?
What is the change in internal energy over one complete cycle? What does that tell you about the relationship between net heat flow and work?

Calculate the work done/on the gas in the isothermal expansion and compression parts and relate that to the net heat flow. Is work done during the isochoric heating and cooling?

AM

1. What is a PV diagram and how is it used in thermodynamics?

A PV diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure and volume in a thermodynamic system. It is used to analyze and understand the work and heat involved in a thermodynamic process.

2. How do you calculate the net heat in a PV diagram problem?

The net heat in a PV diagram problem can be calculated by finding the area under the curve on the diagram. This area represents the amount of work done by the gas, which is equal to the net heat transferred in or out of the system.

3. What is the formula for calculating work done in a PV diagram problem?

The formula for calculating work done in a PV diagram problem is W = PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume. This formula assumes that the pressure is constant throughout the process.

4. How do you determine the sign of work done in a PV diagram problem?

The sign of work done in a PV diagram problem depends on the direction of the process. If the gas is expanding (increasing in volume), work is positive, and if the gas is compressing (decreasing in volume), work is negative.

5. Can you use a PV diagram to calculate the efficiency of a thermodynamic process?

Yes, a PV diagram can be used to calculate the efficiency of a thermodynamic process by comparing the work done on the system to the heat transferred into the system. The efficiency is given by the ratio of work done to heat transferred, multiplied by 100%.