PV graph question (trying to determine the work)

• Thread starter adam878787878
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph Work
In summary, the question is about calculating the work done by a system from point A to point C on a PV diagram. The units for pressure and volume are atm and L, respectively. The suggested approach is to calculate the area under the graph, but the answer obtained is incorrect. The correct formula for work done is multiplied pressure by the change in volume.
adam878787878

Homework Statement

Look at the PV diagram of a system above. (attached) The units for P and V are atmospheric pressure atm and liter L. Process A to B and B to C are straight lines on it.
How much is the work done by the system from A to C in J?

Homework Equations

i know that work is the area under the graph, but when i add up areas, answer is wrong for some reason??

The Attempt at a Solution

W = .5(4*3) + .5(4*1.5) * 152J
= 1596J

this is wrong though
?

Attachments

• showme2.gif
    showme2.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 502
Physics news on Phys.org
>>>>Work Done is...[ p*delta V] i.e. pressure multiplied by CHANGE IN VOLUME.

This is enough for a hint...^^^

I would first ask for clarification on the units being used in the question. The units for pressure and volume should be consistent in order to accurately calculate the work. Additionally, I would suggest using the appropriate formula for calculating work, which is W = PΔV. It is important to ensure that the units are converted correctly and that the values used in the calculation are accurate. It is also possible that the incorrect answer could be due to a mistake in plotting the graph or incorrectly determining the boundaries of the area under the graph. I would recommend double-checking the calculations and seeking help from a peer or instructor if needed.

What is a PV graph?

A PV graph, also known as a pressure-volume graph, is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure and volume of a gas. It is commonly used in thermodynamics to analyze the work done by a gas.

How do you determine the work from a PV graph?

The work done by a gas can be calculated by finding the area under the PV curve on the graph. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller shapes (such as rectangles or triangles) and calculating their individual areas, then adding them together.

What does the slope of a PV graph represent?

The slope of a PV graph represents the change in pressure over the change in volume. In other words, it represents the gas's compressibility or how easily it can be compressed or expanded.

What does a positive slope on a PV graph indicate?

A positive slope on a PV graph indicates that the pressure and volume of the gas are directly proportional, meaning that as one increases, the other also increases. This is known as Boyle's Law.

What does a negative slope on a PV graph indicate?

A negative slope on a PV graph indicates that the pressure and volume of the gas are inversely proportional, meaning that as one increases, the other decreases. This is known as Charles's Law.