QM focused Documentaries/lectures.

• Thread starter shifty88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for recommendations for lectures or documentaries to better understand quantum mechanics. They prefer lectures over documentaries and have already watched some by Brian Greene and Brian Cox. Another person recommends checking out Feynman's QED lectures and Leonard Susskind's lectures for a more technical understanding. Bill thanks the person for their recommendations and specifically mentions Susskind's lecture series, which consists of 10 lectures that are 2 hours each.
shifty88
Hello there.
It's fair to say that QM confuses me, a lot.
Does anyone recommend any lectures/documentaries that i could watch to further my understanding of QM

I'd prefer to watch lectures if i be honest, because i know that documentaries are dumbed down for the public (lets face it they have to be). I have seen Brian Greene's fabric of the cosmos and a night with the stars with Brian Cox
I'd like to get a deeper understanding of the subject.

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks Bill

Related to QM focused Documentaries/lectures.

1. What is quantum mechanics and why is it important?

Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of the universe at a microscopic level, and has led to many technological advancements such as transistors, lasers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

2. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of larger objects, while quantum mechanics focuses on the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, meaning that the future behavior of a system can be predicted with certainty, while quantum mechanics follows probabilistic laws, where the behavior of particles can only be described in terms of probabilities.

3. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, including transistors in electronic devices, lasers in communication and medical technology, superconductors used in MRI machines, and cryptography for secure communication. It also has the potential to revolutionize fields such as computing, communication, and energy production in the future.

4. How has quantum mechanics changed our understanding of the universe?

Quantum mechanics has challenged our traditional understanding of reality by showing that particles can exist in multiple states at the same time, and can be connected in ways that are not explained by classical physics. It has also led to the development of new theories, such as quantum field theory and the standard model, which have greatly expanded our knowledge of the building blocks of the universe.

5. What are some common misconceptions about quantum mechanics?

One common misconception is that quantum mechanics only applies at the microscopic level and does not have any relevance in our everyday lives. However, as mentioned earlier, it has many practical applications. Another misconception is that quantum mechanics allows for instantaneous communication or travel, which is not supported by current scientific understanding. Additionally, the concept of "spooky action at a distance" has been popularized by media, but it is a misinterpretation of quantum entanglement and does not violate the speed of light limit.