QM: where did that energy come from?

• Thread starter koroljov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy Qm
In summary: So when you measure something the wave function collapses into a particular "mode" (e.g. a particular orbital), and the probability of finding the system in that mode is the eigenvalue of the quantum number you're measuring. This question is likely a stupid question, or based on some trivial misconception, but I can't find where the error is.
koroljov
This question is likely a stupid question, or based on some trivial misconception, but I can't find where the error is.

Imagine a hydrogen atom.
An electron is sitting nicely in its orbital. I measure its quantum numbers to know in which orbital it is. It will remain there for now, since the orbitals are eigenfunctions of the hamiltonian.

Now I decide to measure the position of the electron. So, I use the position operator (x,y,z). The eigenfunctions of this operator are Dirac functions (they are, aren't they?). So, the wavefunction now "collapses" into a dirac function. This dirac function can be expanded as a linear combination of the orbital functions (since these are orthonormal and complete).

So, when I measure the quantum numbers of the electron once again, I will have a nonzero chance of finding the electron in any of the orbitals which made a nonzero contribution to the expansion of the dirac function. Therefore, I might find the electron in an orbital with more or less energy than the one in which it was originally.

Where did that energy come from? Or, alternatively, where did it go to? Did I add or remove energy to/from the electron by trying to measure its position? Or is there some foolish error in the above reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
koroljov said:
This question is likely a stupid question, or based on some trivial misconception, but I can't find where the error is.

Imagine a hydrogen atom.
An electron is sitting nicely in its orbital. I measure its quantum numbers to know in which orbital it is. It will remain there for now, since the orbitals are eigenfunctions of the hamiltonian.

Now I decide to measure the position of the electron. So, I use the position operator (x,y,z). The eigenfunctions of this operator are Dirac functions (they are, aren't they?). So, the wavefunction now "collapses" into a dirac function. This dirac function can be expanded as a linear combination of the orbital functions (since these are orthonormal and complete).

So, when I measure the quantum numbers of the electron once again, I will have a nonzero chance of finding the electron in any of the orbitals which made a nonzero contribution to the expansion of the dirac function. Therefore, I might find the electron in an orbital with more or less energy than the one in which it was originally.

Where did that energy come from? Or, alternatively, where did it go to? Did I add or remove energy to/from the electron by trying to measure its position? Or is there some foolish error in the above reasoning?
If that atom were the only thing in the universe it could stay happily in its energy state, but you had to go and mess around with it, so it obviously is not the only thing in the universe. :smile: Somewhere in the course of your interaction with it, that atom absorbed or emitted a photon. Exactly how it does that involves more than just knowing about its electronic state wave functions.

koroljov said:
Imagine a hydrogen atom.
As I understand this situation

Measurement is an interaction with the wave function of the electron - proton combination that selects an eigenvalue of the measured quantum number (i.e. orbit number).

When you measure the orbital quantum number a photon interacts with the electron.
Therefore it will not remain there for now.

I took Quantum Mechanics in 1975 and do not work in the field.
But it seems to me that your idea of measurement is somewhat classical not Quantum Mechanical in this case and my be the cause of you concern.

The wave function contains all the information about a system.

But access to that information (selecting an eigenvalue of a quantum number) is probabilistic and disturbs its dual quantum number.
The dual quantum number is via the Hiedenberg Uncertainty Relation (measure one and the other is “spread”) momentum - position, time - energy etc.).

Related to QM: where did that energy come from?

1. Where does the energy in quantum mechanics come from?

The energy in quantum mechanics comes from a variety of sources, including the energy present in particles themselves, as well as the potential energy of interactions between particles. It can also come from external sources, such as electromagnetic fields or gravitational fields.

2. How is energy conserved in quantum mechanics?

Energy conservation is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics, just as it is in classical mechanics. This means that the total energy of a system must remain constant over time. However, in quantum mechanics, energy can be exchanged between different forms, such as kinetic energy and potential energy, due to the probabilistic nature of particle interactions.

3. Can energy be created or destroyed in quantum mechanics?

No, energy cannot be created or destroyed in quantum mechanics. This is known as the law of conservation of energy, and it holds true even at the quantum level. However, energy can be converted from one form to another, such as from potential energy to kinetic energy, through quantum processes.

4. How do quantum fluctuations affect energy levels?

Quantum fluctuations are a natural consequence of the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics. They can cause small, random changes in the energy levels of particles, but these fluctuations are typically very small and do not significantly affect the overall energy of a system. However, in certain situations, such as in the early universe or near black holes, quantum fluctuations can have a larger impact on energy levels.

5. What role does the observer play in determining energy in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the observer plays a crucial role in determining the energy of a system. This is because the act of observation collapses the wave function and determines the specific energy state of a particle or system. Without an observer, the energy of a system would exist in a superposition of all possible states.