Quantum Computing - projection operators

In summary: So do you think you can write out the summary now?In summary, if two projection operators, ##P_1## and ##P_2##, commute, then their product, ##P_1 P_2##, is also a projection operator. This is because projection operators have the property that ##P^2 = P##, and when expanded, the product of two projection operators is equal to both ##P_1## and ##P_2## separately. This means that ##P_1 P_2## is a projection operator.
Peter_Newman
Assume ##P_1## and ##P_2## are two projection operators. I want to show that if their commutator ##[P_1,P_2]=0##, then their product ##P_1P_2## is also a projection operator.

My first idea was:

$$P_1=|u_1\rangle\langle u_1|, P_2=|u_2\rangle\langle u_2|$$
$$P_1P_2= |u_1\rangle\langle u_1|u_2\rangle\langle u_2|\neq 0$$
the second expression is not zero if ##\langle u_1|u_2\rangle## are not orthononal.

But I do not really get on with this task, which is why I hope for some advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
An expression like ##P_1 = |u_1\rangle\langle u_1 |## is for a projection operator that projects any vector on a 1-dimensional line in the state vector space. A more general projection is

##P = \sum\limits_{k} |u_k \rangle\langle u_k |##

where the vectors ##|u_k \rangle## form an orthonormal set.

Likes vanhees71
Peter_Newman said:
the second expression is not zero

You're not trying to show that the second expression is zero. You're trying to show that ##P_1 P_2## is a projection operator if ##P_1## and ##P_2## commute.

Do you know what defines a projection operator? That is, if ##P## is a projection operator, can you write down a statement that must be true of it (without writing it out in terms of bras and kets)?

My knowledge of projection operators is similar to what @hilbert2 summarized in his post. I somehow lack the relation to the commutation operator. It would be very nice if you could help me a bit.

So the commutator operator comes to mind. At least I have snapped that at some point:

$$[A,B]=AB-BA$$

So suppose I have the two projection operators ##P_1## and ##P_2##. Since these are orthogonal, the product of these two is 0, which I wanted to say in my first post. But now the connection to what is missing in the task of my input posts (##P_2P_1## would also have to be 0 and therefore can not be a projection operator?).

Peter_Newman said:
My knowledge of projection operators is similar to what @hilbert2 summarized in his post.

Did you know that a projection operator ##P## has the property that ##P^2 = P##? In other words, applying it twice is the same thing as applying it once. (This should make sense if you think about what a projection operator means.)

Can you see how this fact might be helpful?

Peter_Newman said:
##P_2P_1## would also have to be 0

No, that's not true. ##[P_1, P_2] = P_1 P_2 - P_2 P_1##. So ##[P_1, P_2] = 0## just implies ##P_1 P_2 = P_2 P_1##. It does not imply that ##P_1 P_2 = 0##.

Peter_Newman said:
Since these are orthogonal

The problem statement does not require that ##P_1## and ##P_2## are orthogonal.

PeterDonis said:
No, that's not true. ##[P_1, P_2] = P_1 P_2 - P_2 P_1##. So ##[P_1, P_2] = 0## just implies ##P_1 P_2 = P_2 P_1##. It does not imply that ##P_1 P_2 = 0##.

Ok, that would have been my alternative hypothesis.

PeterDonis said:
Did you know that a projection operator ##P## has the property that ##P^2 = P##? In other words, applying it twice is the same thing as applying it once. (This should make sense if you think about what a projection operator means.)

Can you see how this fact might be helpful?

Yes, I have heard of this property before. Unfortunately, I can not quite see how far this property can help me with ##P_1 P_2 = P_2 P_1##

Peter_Newman said:
can not quite see how far this property can help me

What does ##P^2 = P## look like if ##P = P_1 P_2##?

If ##P=P_1P_2## so ##P^2=(P_1P_2)(P_1P_2)=P_1^2P_2^2##

Peter_Newman said:
If ##P=P_1P_2## so ##P^2=(P_1P_2)(P_1P_2)##

Right.

Peter_Newman said:
##(P_1P_2)(P_1P_2)=P_1^2P_2^2##

How are you obtaining this? The ordering of the factors on the LHS is different than on the RHS, since ##P_1^2 = (P_1 P_1)## and ##P_2^2 = (P_2 P_2)##.

##P^2=P_1P_2P_1P_2=P_1^2P_2^2=P_1P_2=P##

Peter_Newman said:
##P^2=P_1P_2P_1P_2=P_1^2P_2^2=P_1P_2=P##

Ok, so does this answer your question in the OP?

PeterDonis said:
Ok, so does this answer your question in the OP?

Yes, almost. I just do not quite know how to express that linguistically ...

Peter_Newman said:
I just do not quite know how to express that linguistically

Why do you need to? The equations are clear and straightforward.

Likes vanhees71
Yes, I agree with that a bit, if I see ##P^2=P_1P_2P_1P_2=P_1^2P_2^2=P_1P_2=P##
Here is the above mentioned product already in it ...

@PeterDonis by the way, thanks for the support!

Likes vanhees71
Peter_Newman said:
thanks for the support!

You're welcome!

1. What is a projection operator in quantum computing?

A projection operator in quantum computing is a mathematical tool used to describe the state of a quantum system. It represents the probability of a quantum state being in a particular subspace of the overall system. It is typically represented by a Hermitian operator, and its eigenvalues correspond to the probabilities of measuring the system in the corresponding subspace.

2. How is a projection operator used in quantum algorithms?

Projection operators are used in quantum algorithms to manipulate and measure the state of a quantum system. They are particularly useful in quantum error correction and quantum state tomography, where they can help identify and correct errors in the system and accurately determine the state of the system.

3. What is the difference between a projection operator and a measurement operator?

While both projection operators and measurement operators are used to describe the state of a quantum system, they serve different purposes. A projection operator describes the state of the system at a particular point in time, while a measurement operator is used to determine the state of the system after a measurement has been made.

4. How are projection operators related to quantum entanglement?

Projection operators play a crucial role in understanding and manipulating quantum entanglement. In a system with multiple qubits, projection operators can be used to measure the entanglement between the qubits and determine how correlated their states are. They can also be used to create entangled states by projecting the system onto a subspace that represents entanglement.

5. Can projection operators be used in classical computing?

While projection operators are primarily used in quantum computing, they can also be applied in classical computing. In classical computing, projection operators are used to describe the probabilities of different states in a classical system. However, they do not have the same properties and capabilities as they do in quantum computing.