Quantum Effects Negligible in Diffraction, Tunneling & Zero-Point Oscillation

In summary, to show that quantum effects are negligible in (i) the diffraction of a tennis ball with mass m=0.1 kg and speed of 0.5 m/s by a window of size 1X1.5 m^2, we must argue that the de Broglie wavelength of the incident ray must be comparable in magnitude to the slit width length. For (ii) the tunneling probability of a marble with mass m=5 g and speed of 10 cm/s against a rigid obstacle of height H=5 cm and width w=1 cm, the amplitude of zero point oscillation for a pendulum with length l=1m and mass 1 kg tends to zero in the classical model.
neelakash

Homework Statement

I am to show that quantum effects are negligible in:

(i) The diffraction of a tennis ball of mass m=0.1 kg moving at a speed of 0.5 m/s
by a window of size 1X1.5 m^2

(ii)The tunneling probability for a marble of mass m=5 g moving at a speed of 10 cm/s against a rigid obstacle of height H=5 cm and width w=1 cm

(iii)The amplitude of the zero point oscillation for a pendulum of length l=1m and mass 1 kg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I show the first by: finding the de Broglie wavelength and arguing that for diffraction effects to be observable, we must have the incident ray's wavelength to be comparable in magnitude of the slit width length.

I show the third by: the QM amplitude is given by

[tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\ x [/tex]=[tex]\sqrt [{h}{/2m\omega}][/tex]

where h is actually h bar.(LaTeX did not accept \hbar)

Clearly the ampitude tends to zero for classical model given...

I am not sure of the correct expression of zero point amplitude in QM harmonic Oscillator but I get it in

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/hosc4.html#c1

Please let me know if it is correct...

Physics news on Phys.org
due to some technical problem,there has been some problem with this thread...And another thread of the same name is appearing.I do not know why it is,but ifg it is my fault,I am expressing regret to Administrator

I show the first by: finding the de Broglie wavelength and arguing that for diffraction effects to be observable, we must have the incident ray's wavelength to be comparable in magnitude of the slit width length.

I show the third by: the QM amplitude is given by

[tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\ x= [/tex][tex]\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}[/tex]

where h is actually h bar.(LaTeX did not accept \hbar)

Clearly the ampitude tends to zero for classical model given...

I am not sure of the correct expression of zero point amplitude in QM harmonic Oscillator but I get it in

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/hosc4.html#c1

Please let me know if it is correct...

I found a formula of Transmission coeff here

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/barr.html

T~exp[-2kL] where k~[tex]\sqrt{U-E}/h [/tex]

Then the exponential is so small that the probability tends to zero.

Last edited:

1. What are quantum effects?

Quantum effects refer to the phenomena that occur at the atomic and subatomic level, where the laws of classical physics break down and the behavior of particles is described by quantum mechanics.

2. What does it mean for quantum effects to be negligible in diffraction?

When we say that quantum effects are negligible in diffraction, we mean that the size of the diffracting object is much larger than the de Broglie wavelength of the particles involved. This allows us to use the classical wave equations to describe the diffraction pattern, rather than needing to take into account the quantum nature of the particles.

3. How does tunneling relate to quantum effects?

Tunneling is a quantum phenomenon that occurs when a particle is able to pass through a potential barrier, even though it does not have enough energy to overcome the barrier according to classical physics. This is possible due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics and is a direct result of quantum effects.

4. Why are quantum effects negligible in zero-point oscillations?

Zero-point oscillations refer to the constant, random motion of particles even at absolute zero temperature. In this case, quantum effects are negligible because the particles are not interacting with any external forces or barriers, so their behavior can be described using classical mechanics.

5. Can quantum effects ever be completely ignored in these phenomena?

No, quantum effects can never be completely ignored in these phenomena. While they may be negligible in certain cases, such as when the diffracting object is large or when particles are not interacting with external forces, they are always present at the atomic and subatomic level and play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles.