Quantum Mechanics: total angular momentum of an electron in a hydrogen atom

In summary, the electron in a hydrogen atom has a possible total angular momentum of 1/2 or 3/2, with corresponding probabilities of 1/9 and 2/9, respectively. The total angular momentum can be measured using J^{2} = \hbar^{2}j(j+1) and the associated probabilities can be found using the Clebsch-Gordan table. The spin of the electron is 1/2, and the orbital angular momentum is 1. The possible measured values for Jz are (1/2)hbar with a probability of 1/9 and (3/
bdizzle329
An electron in a hydrogen atom occupies the combined position and spin state.

[tex]\Psi[/tex][tex]\left(\vec{r},\xi\right)[/tex]=[tex]\left(\sqrt{1/3}Y^{1}_{0}\xi_{+}+\sqrt{2/3}Y^{1}_{1}\xi_{-}\right)[/tex]

What are the possible measured values of [tex]J^{2}[/tex] (where J is the total angular momentum of the electron L + S) and with what probability will each be found?

[tex]J^{2}[/tex] = [tex]\hbar^{2}j\left(j+1\right)[/tex]

[tex]\left|l-s\right|\geq j \geq l+s [/tex] , where [tex]l[/tex] and [tex]s[/tex] are the orbital angular momentum and spin angular momentum quantum numbers, respectively.

I know that, according to the given position state of the electron and the fact that it is an electron, [tex]l = 1[/tex] and [tex]s = 1/2[/tex].

I know that [tex]j[/tex] will be [tex]1/2[/tex] or [tex]3/2[/tex]. Therefore, [tex]J^{2}[/tex], when measured, will be either [tex]3/4\hbar^{2}[/tex] or [tex]15/4\hbar^{2}[/tex].

I am having trouble determining the associated probabilities of the possible measurement values for [tex]J^{2}[/tex]. From what I have read about addition of angular momentum, it would seem that I would need to calculate the Clebsch-Gordon coefficients for the total angular momentum. I am not really sure where to start. I have read Griffiths' explanation for angular momentum and the Clebsch-Gordon coefficients but he doesn't explain how to use them for total angular momentum.

I feel dumb asking this kind of question but I am having trouble understanding Quantum Mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
The wavefunction should be:

[tex]\Psi\left(\vec{r},\xi\right)=\left(\sqrt{1/3}Y^{0}_{1}\xi_{+}+\sqrt{2/3}Y^{1}_{1}\xi_{-}\right)[/tex]

In order to get the probabilities you need to use the Clebsch-Gordan table.

From the original equation we know that Y01 is the same as |10> and Y11 is the same as |11>. We also know that electrons have an inherent spin of 1/2, so the chi (+) is |1/2 1/2> and the chi (-) is |1/2 -1/2>.

This is evident because chi + is spin up and chi - is spin down and we are working with an electron.

So at this point we have:
Y01 = |1 0>

Y11 = |1 1>

Chi (+) = |1/2 1/2>

Chi (-) = |1/2 -1/2>

So now we plug this back into the first equation and for now we will ignore the radial part (R21). When we do this we get:

sqrt(1/3) |10> |1/2 1/2> +sqrt(2/3) |11> |1/2 -1/2>

This is where the Clebsch-Godradn table comes into play.

We know that the spin of electron is 1/2, and we also know that l is one (we got that because the lower part of the angular equation is on for both Y01, and Y11, and also in the radial equation Rnl)

So we go to the 1 X 1/2 clebsch-Gordan table.

so |10> |1/2 1/2> = sqrt(2/3) |3/2 1/2> - sqrt(1/3) |1/2 1/2>
This one we got from the line highlighted in yellow
and |11> |1/2 -1/2> = sqrt(1/3) |3/2 1/2> + sqrt(2/3) |1/2 1/2>
This one we got from the line highlighted in green

Now we plug this back in and get
sqrt(1/3)*(sqrt(2/3) |3/2 1/2> - sqrt(1/3) |1/2 1/2>)+ sqrt(2/3)(sqrt(1/3) |3/2 1/2> + sqrt(2/3) |1/2 1/2>)

This equals sqrt(2)/3|3/2 1/2>+sqrt(2)/3|3/2 1/2>+(2/3)|1/2 1/2> - (1/3)|1/2 1/2>
Which simplifies to 2*sqrt(2)/3|3/2 1/2>+(1/3)|1/2 1/2>

So J2 = (3/2)(3/2+1)hbar2 with a probability of 2*2/9
= (1/2)(1/2+1)hbar2 with a probability of 1/9

And Jz = (1/2)hbar with a probability of 1

Attachments

• pf help.jpg
    pf help.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 557

1. What is the total angular momentum of an electron in a hydrogen atom?

The total angular momentum of an electron in a hydrogen atom is equal to the sum of its orbital angular momentum and its spin angular momentum. This value is commonly denoted as "j", and its magnitude is given by the formula √(l(l+1) + s(s+1)), where l is the orbital quantum number and s is the spin quantum number.

2. How is the total angular momentum of an electron in a hydrogen atom determined?

The total angular momentum of an electron in a hydrogen atom is determined by the quantum numbers associated with its orbit and spin. The orbital angular momentum is determined by the principal quantum number (n), while the spin angular momentum is determined by the magnetic quantum number (ms). These values are then used to calculate the total angular momentum using the formula mentioned above.

3. What is the significance of the total angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

The total angular momentum of an electron in a hydrogen atom is an important property in quantum mechanics as it helps to describe the energy levels and behavior of the electron in the atom. It also plays a crucial role in determining the spectral lines of hydrogen and other atoms, which are used in studying and understanding atomic structure.

4. How does the total angular momentum of an electron affect the stability of a hydrogen atom?

The total angular momentum of an electron does not directly affect the stability of a hydrogen atom. However, it does play a role in determining the energy levels and behavior of the electron, which in turn can affect the overall stability of the atom. For example, if the total angular momentum is too high, the electron may be more easily excited and can lead to instability in the atom.

5. Can the total angular momentum of an electron in a hydrogen atom change?

Yes, the total angular momentum of an electron in a hydrogen atom can change. This can happen through interactions with other particles or through external forces. However, the total angular momentum is conserved, meaning that the sum of the angular momentum of all particles involved will remain constant. This concept is known as angular momentum conservation and is an important principle in quantum mechanics.