Question about acid and base multiple choice solving

In summary, the problem asks you to titrate acetic acid with a base to find the pH. The first visible change in color would occur when the ratio of In- to HIn is 1/10. The pH at equivalence is 8.72, which gives the answer D.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

I found this problem online for extra practice for my AP Chem class.

https://www.quia.com/files/quia/users/jpugteach/APChem/AP-Chem-Chapter-19-Graphs.pdf

The problem in question is number 4.

I do not understand how to solve it and why the answer D is correct.

Homework Equations

Henderson Hasselbalch Equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming I have an indicator of the form HIn <------> H+ + In-

I know that my indicator will have a visible change when the ratio of In- to HIn will be 1/10.

So I have pH = pKa + log ( [A-] / [HA] ) = -log ( 1.8 * 10 E -5 ) + log (1/10) = 3.744.

So I put down that my answer was B as my calculated pH falls in that range.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance for the help![/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You are seriously confused, no idea why you speak about ratio of HIn/In yet you plug pKa for acetic acid into HH equation.

First things first: you need an indicator that changes color as close to the equivalence point as possible, What is the equivalence point for the acetic acid titration?

I was told that if I have the following:HIn <---------> H+ + In-

and I am titrating an acid with a base, then the first visible change of color would occur with a ratio of [In-]/[HIn] = 1/10.

Vice versa with the titration of a base with an acid with the ratio of [In-]/[HIn] being 10/1.

Hmm... I see how you are saying how I am confused. Seems that I am.

All I know about the equivalence point is that it is going to be greater than 7 as the equivalence point will result in a basic solution.

The problem does not specify anything more, and I do not know what to do.

Thanks for your help.

Problem specifies everything you need. First step is to find the equivalence point pH (easy to calculate from the pKa value for acetic acid), the to choose indicator that changes color as close to the equivalence point as possible.

1/10 ratio doesn't matter here (although you are right it matters in some cases).

How would I calculate the equivalence point pH?

I know that a reaction of a weak acid + strong base would yield an equivalence point of basic pH.

The amount of CH3COO- remaining at the equivalence point would impact the basicity of the solution as it would react with H2O in hydrolisis and form OH-.

I do not have concentrations of the substances and I do not know how much of CH3COOH and NaOH I would need respectively to reach equivalence point.

Thus, I do not understand how I am supposed to reach equivalence point pH.

If you could please help, if would be greately appreciated!

Thanks!

You don't need a very precise value - typical concentration of the acid during titration is around 0.1-0.01 M, titrating more diluted samples becomes difficult. You can safely assume titrant to be 0.1 M NaOH, as this is typical value. That's enough information.

I assumed the volumes to be equal and their molarity to be the same.

I gave both volumes and molarities value of 0.1.I calculated the pH at equivalence to be then 8.72 [within range], which gives me D.

Is that the right approach?

Sounds OK to me.

1. What is the difference between an acid and a base?

An acid is a chemical compound that releases hydrogen ions in a solution, while a base is a compound that accepts hydrogen ions. Acids generally have a sour taste and can cause a burning sensation, while bases have a bitter taste and can feel slippery.

2. How do you solve multiple choice questions about acids and bases?

To solve multiple choice questions about acids and bases, you should first understand the basic properties of acids and bases and how they react in different situations. Then, carefully read each question and eliminate any obviously incorrect options. Finally, use your knowledge and critical thinking skills to choose the best answer.

3. Can an acid and a base cancel each other out?

Yes, an acid and a base can neutralize each other through a chemical reaction called neutralization. When an acid and a base react, they form a salt and water, resulting in a neutral solution with a pH of 7.

4. How does pH relate to acids and bases?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution, with values ranging from 0 to 14. Acids have a pH lower than 7, while bases have a pH higher than 7. The lower the pH, the more acidic the solution, and the higher the pH, the more basic the solution.

5. What are some common examples of acids and bases?

Some common examples of acids include lemon juice, vinegar, and battery acid. Examples of bases include baking soda, soap, and ammonia. However, there are many different types of acids and bases with varying strengths and uses.