Air Resistance and Trajectory Differences

In summary, the presence of air resistance affects the trajectory of a projectile, causing it to be non-symmetrical. The path with air resistance becomes progressively steeper due to the diminishing magnitude of horizontal velocity. The peak height is located at the same point in both cases, but the path in Figure A becomes steeper after reaching the peak. The reasoning for this lies in the fact that air resistance slows down the projectile's horizontal speed, resulting in a steeper slope during its fall from the peak height. This is shown in Figure A where the path becomes progressively steeper after reaching the peak, while in Figure B the path remains symmetrical.
qazxsw11111
[NEED HELP+DIAGRAM INCLUDED]Question about Air Resistance

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/3732/airr.jpg

Red line- No air resistance
Blue line-Air resistance present

Ok, so I thought on the way UP, resistive forces (oppose motion) acts in same way as g-force => Deceleration is very large. Time taken is very short.

On the way down, air resistance acts in opposite to g-force, resultant force and acceleration are smaller. Time is much longer.

I thought it was B since the a is smaller. (Longer time)

But the answer suggested that the first is correct.

Reasoning given by answer (Im still confused):
Air resistance opposes motion and decreases both vertical and horizontal velocity=>Lower vertical height and shorter horizontal range [OK, I get this]
The path of A after maximum height is progressively steeper due to the diminishing magnitude of horizontal velocity.

It makes sense also but I wonder why am I wrong? Can anyone help clarify this?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump...Anyone?

Bumpy Bumpy?

Is the the trajectory of a projectile with air resistance symmetrical or non-symmetrical? When it starts to fall, it is a steep dive or a shallow one?

^^Without air resistance, I guess symmetrical.

With air resistance, both are not. But where is the peak?
I thought on the way down, resultant force/acceleration is less resulting in a gentler slope, but apparently the answer decides otherwise.

I don't think either you or the answer sheet gave a correct explanation. You were doing fine until you said "I thought it was B since the a is smaller. (Longer time)". What's a? Is it acceleration?

The answer sheet falls flat when it claims "The path of A after maximum height is progressively steeper due to the diminishing magnitude of horizontal velocity." Sure, but the path of B also becomes progressively steeper. Besides, an increase in vertical velocity would also cause the path to become steeper.

I thought about the problem this way. The time the object takes to reach the vertex is short, but the object's horizontal speed is also high. Once it passes the vertex, the object takes a long time to fall back to the ground, but its horizontal speed is now low. Since short time * high speed might be equal to long time * low speed, this line of reasoning doesn't prove that the graph isn't symmetrical.

I can't think of any way, aside from using calculations involving calculus, of proving that A is the right answer. Are you sure this is something you're supposed to calculate, and not something you're supposed to memorize?

ideasrule said:
I don't think either you or the answer sheet gave a correct explanation. You were doing fine until you said "I thought it was B since the a is smaller. (Longer time)". What's a? Is it acceleration?

The answer sheet falls flat when it claims "The path of A after maximum height is progressively steeper due to the diminishing magnitude of horizontal velocity." Sure, but the path of B also becomes progressively steeper. Besides, an increase in vertical velocity would also cause the path to become steeper.

I thought about the problem this way. The time the object takes to reach the vertex is short, but the object's horizontal speed is also high. Once it passes the vertex, the object takes a long time to fall back to the ground, but its horizontal speed is now low. Since short time * high speed might be equal to long time * low speed, this line of reasoning doesn't prove that the graph isn't symmetrical.

I can't think of any way, aside from using calculations involving calculus, of proving that A is the right answer. Are you sure this is something you're supposed to calculate, and not something you're supposed to memorize?

I don't think I am involved with physics calculus at my level. Yes, I do mean that acceleration is less.

My line of reasoning: Same distance vertically->Smaller acceleration (due to air resistance opposing the gravitation [compare with upwards])->Longer time in air (looking at vertical distance)->Longer range?

With air resistance, both are not.
Figure A clearly shows that the BLUE trajectory with air resistance is not symmetrical. Figure B clearly shows that the BLUE trajectory with air resistance is symmetrical. Are we looking at the same figures?
But where is the peak?
As shown
I thought on the way down, resultant force/acceleration is less resulting in a gentler slope, but apparently the answer decides otherwise.
For the air resistance case, the acceleration in the x direction slows down the projectile's speed in the x direction, resulting in a steeper slope downward in the projectiles fall from peak height. Imagine that the projectile came to a near stop in its x direction speed, it'd fall near straight down, wouldn't it, regardless of its vertical slow downward acceleration? Figure A BLUE clearly shows a steeper slope after max height is reached than Figure B BLUE shows. The answer and explanation is correct.

Related to Air Resistance and Trajectory Differences

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It is caused by the collision of air molecules with the surface of the object.

2. How does air resistance affect an object's motion?

Air resistance slows down the motion of an object by creating a force in the opposite direction of the object's motion. This force increases as the object's speed increases.

3. What factors affect the amount of air resistance on an object?

The amount of air resistance on an object is affected by its size, shape, and speed. Objects with larger surface areas, such as parachutes, experience more air resistance. Objects with streamlined shapes, such as airplanes, experience less air resistance. The faster an object moves, the greater the air resistance.

4. How does air resistance affect falling objects?

Air resistance affects falling objects by slowing down their descent. As the object falls, air resistance increases until it is equal to the force of gravity pulling the object down. This results in a constant speed called terminal velocity.

5. Can air resistance be reduced or eliminated?

Air resistance cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced by changing the shape or surface of an object to make it more aerodynamic. For example, a cyclist can reduce air resistance by crouching low on their bike to reduce their surface area. Additionally, air resistance can be reduced in environments with less air, such as at high altitudes or in outer space.