Understanding the Effects of Dielectrics on Capacitance: A Scientific Approach

In summary, when a capacitor is fully charged by a battery and a dielectric is then inserted, the voltage will change because the battery is disconnected. However, there will be no flow of charge, so the charge will remain the same. The potential energy of the capacitor will also remain the same because the electric field between the plates will decrease, balancing out the increase in capacitance. Therefore, the only true statement is that the capacitance will increase.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

A capacitor, is fully charged by a battery. The battery is disconnected and a dielectric is inserted into the capacitor. Which of the following is true?

I. Voltage will stay the same
II. Potential energy of the capacitor will increase
III. capacitance will increase

Homework Equations

U = 0.5 * Q * deltaV

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that III is true as dielectrics by definition increase capacitance. How can I eliminate the other two to get the final answer of III only?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Battery maintains constant voltage.Since it is removed voltage will change.
But there is no flow of charge.Using the relation between Charge ,Potential and capacitance and this information find change in voltage and potential energy.

Technically you don't need to "eliminate" the other choices as long as you are certain that a specific choice is correct in a multiple choice question.

But I) is wrong simply because inserting a dielectric changes the electric field E and it is V=Ed where d the (constant) distance between the plates.

II) you can answer it yourself, using the equation you wrote in OP and calculating how voltage will change (increase or decrease)? (Charge will remain the same (why?))

Delta² said:
II) you can answer it yourself, using the equation you wrote in OP and calculating how voltage will change (increase or decrease)? (Charge will remain the same (why?))

Charge will remain the same because the battery is not connected to the capacitor, so the battery can not pump out more charged particles in response to the insertion of the dielectric.

harsh_sinha said:
Battery maintains constant voltage.Since it is removed voltage will change.
But there is no flow of charge

Why does a battery maintain constant voltage? And, I take it that there is no flow of charge because there is no potential difference caused by having a battery hooked up to the circuit?

RoboNerd said:
Charge will remain the same because the battery is not connected to the capacitor, so the battery can not pump out more charged particles in response to the insertion of the dielectric.
Why does a battery maintain constant voltage? And, I take it that there is no flow of charge because there is no potential difference caused by having a battery hooked up to the circuit?
Battery is like a pumping device. It pumps charge.When connected to a capacitor it pumps charge till steady state is achieved.In steady state when there is no flow of charge we can easily prove that potential difference across the capacitor is constant using Kirchoff's Law.

I wonder what have you been taught about the dielectric constant k:

1) A capacitor with dielectric of dielectric constant k, has capacitance ##C_k=kC_0## where ##C_0## the Capacitance with vacuum between its plates.
or
2) The electric field between the plates of a capacitor with dielectric k is ##E_k=\frac{E_0}{k}## where ##E_0## the electric field with vacuum between the plates.

Delta² said:
I wonder what have you been taught about the dielectric constant k:

1) A capacitor with dielectric of dielectric constant k, has capacitance Ck=kC0Ck=kC0C_k=kC_0 where C0C0C_0 the Capacitance with vacuum between its plates.
or
2) The electric field between the plates of a capacitor with dielectric k is Ek=E0kEk=E0kE_k=\frac{E_0}{k} where E0E0E_0 the electric field with vacuum between the plates.

yes, I know how a dielectric works. thank you.

I see how I should solve this problem. Thanks a lot everyone!

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. Capacitors are commonly used in electronic circuits to filter, smooth, or store electrical charges.

2. How does a capacitor work?

When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, one plate accumulates positive charges while the other accumulates negative charges. This creates an electric field between the plates. The dielectric material between the plates prevents the charges from flowing across, allowing the capacitor to store the electric charge.

3. What is the unit of measurement for capacitance?

The unit of measurement for capacitance is the farad (F). However, capacitors are often measured in smaller units such as microfarads (μF) or picofarads (pF).

4. What are the different types of capacitors?

There are many types of capacitors, including ceramic, electrolytic, film, and variable capacitors. Each type has its own unique characteristics and is used for different purposes. For example, ceramic capacitors are commonly used for high-frequency applications, while electrolytic capacitors are used for high capacitance values.

5. How do I choose the right capacitor for my circuit?

The choice of capacitor depends on the specific requirements of your circuit, such as capacitance value, voltage rating, and frequency. It is important to consider these factors and choose a capacitor that meets the specifications of your circuit. Consulting a datasheet or seeking advice from a knowledgeable source can also help in selecting the right capacitor.