Question about concentric conductors

In summary: I provided and solve for ##V_{III}##.In summary, for the given problem of three insulated concentric spherical conductors with charged e_1, e_2, and e_3, the potentials in each region are determined to be V_I = \frac{k e_1}{r} + C, V_{II} = \frac{k (e_1 + e_2)}{r} + D, and V_{III} = \frac{k (e_1 + e_2 + e_3)}{r} + E, where C, D, and E are integration constants. Grounding the innermost sphere and solving for V_{
Jason Williams

Homework Statement

Three insulated concentric spherical conductors, whose radii in ascending order of magnitude are ##a, b, c##, have charged ##e_1, e_2, e_3## respectively, find their potentials and show that if the inner most sphere is grounded, the potential of the outermost is diminished by:

##\frac{a}{c} ( \frac{k e_1}{a} + \frac{k e_2}{b} + \frac{k e_3}{c} ) ##.

Homework Equations

##k = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The potentials in each region are ##V_I = \frac{k e_1}{r} + C##, ##V_{II} = \frac{k (e_1 + e_2)}{r} + D##, and ##V_{III} = \frac{k (e_1 + e_2 + e_3)}{r} + E##, where ##C, D## and ##E## are integration constants. Setting the potential at the innermost sphere to ##0##, we solve for ##C##, giving us ##V_{III} = \frac{k e_1}{r} - \frac{k e_1}{a}##. Ensuring continuity @ ##b## and ##c##, I finally get ##V_{III} = \frac{k (e_1 + e_2 + e_3)}{r} - (\frac{e_3}{c} + \frac{e_2}{b} + \frac{e_1}{a})##. I just don't see how we get the factor of ##\frac{a}{c}## on the outside. Help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Jason,

I read the exercise as consisting of two parts: a) find the potentials, and b)ground the inner sphere and ... etc.

BvU said:
Hello Jason,

I read the exercise as consisting of two parts: a) find the potentials, and b)ground the inner sphere and ... etc.

Oops, sorry you're totally right. I left the potentials in that form because you can't solve for ##C##, ##D##, and ##E## without knowing the potentials on each surface. Is this the wrong way of approaching the problem?

Last edited:
you should be able to solve part a using potental zero at infinity

1. What are concentric conductors?

Concentric conductors are two or more conductors that are placed one inside the other, with the same axis and sharing the same center. They are commonly used in electrical cables and transmission lines.

2. How do concentric conductors work?

Concentric conductors work by allowing electricity to flow through the inner conductor, while the outer conductor provides a protective shielding. This setup helps to minimize interference and maintain a stable flow of electricity.

3. What are the advantages of using concentric conductors?

Concentric conductors offer several advantages, including reduced interference and noise, increased electrical efficiency, and improved safety due to their shielding properties. They also allow for more compact and efficient designs of electrical systems.

4. What are some applications of concentric conductors?

Concentric conductors are commonly used in various electrical systems, such as power transmission lines, telecommunication cables, and coaxial cables for TV and internet. They are also used in medical equipment, automotive wiring, and many other electronic devices.

5. How are concentric conductors different from single conductors?

The main difference between concentric conductors and single conductors is their construction. Single conductors consist of a single wire or cable, while concentric conductors have two or more conductors placed inside each other. This allows for improved performance and functionality in electronic systems.