Are fields composed of particles or waves?

• Thread starter H0T_S0UP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, two opposing electric fields will create a force that moves them apart. The relevance of p=mv is unclear in this context. The concept of fields "canceling" each other out is not entirely accurate. Fields are not matter, but rather areas in which forces are experienced. Fields can be thought of as spring-like entities that interact and create forces. This observation may suggest that Newtonian physics is not entirely accurate.
H0T_S0UP
Yesterday I was thinking about electric fields and how similar fields, when intersecting, push away and 'deflect' each other. If we were to take two fields of equal magnitude (and charge since I am using an electric field as an example) and have them make contact they should cancel each other out right? But that's according to Newtonian physics where p=mv. So my question is: are fields generally made up of particles or waves and if they are made of waves doesn't an observation like this prove that most of Newtonian physics is probably inaccurate?

Physics news on Phys.org
As you stated initially, opposing fields will create a force, moving them apart. Also, why is p = mv relevant? A book on wave-particle duality may be what you're looking for in this case. Newtonian Theory is considered inaccurate at cosmological scales (where it is superseded by relativity) and in the atomic world, were Newton's laws also break down, and are replaced by quantum theory.

V

by P=mv i was thinking about the concept that if they are particles and they hit each other with equal momentum then they should 'cancel' each others energies out.

I believe that fields don't really "cancel" each other out. If you draw a typical diagram of an electric field of two charges approaching each other, u should end up with the fields being "bent" and deflected by the other field.

And, fields are not matter. All fields are by definition "an area in which a (whatever, be it magnet, charge, etc) experiences a (some kind of ) force".

To me, I think of fields as spring like thingies which get bent or pulled when affected by another field, which gives them "potential energy" to pull or push back and thus accounts for forces caused by interactions of fields. But, still, they are not matter.

1. What are fields?

Fields are regions in space that have a physical property and can interact with particles or other fields. They can be thought of as invisible lines of force that permeate the universe and can exert a force on objects within their range.

2. What is the difference between particles and waves in fields?

Particles are tiny, localized bundles of energy that move through a field. They have a specific location and can be measured at a specific point in time. Waves, on the other hand, are disturbances or oscillations in a field that propagate through space. They do not have a specific location and can only be described by their wavelength and frequency.

3. How do fields interact with particles?

Fields can exert a force on particles, causing them to accelerate or change direction. This force is known as the field force. The strength of the field force depends on the strength of the field and the properties of the particle, such as its charge or mass.

4. Can fields exist without particles?

Yes, fields can exist without particles. In fact, fields are often described as the fundamental building blocks of the universe, with particles being excitations or disturbances in the field. However, some fields, such as the Higgs field, require particles to give them mass and structure.

5. How are fields and waves related?

Fields and waves are closely related because waves are disturbances or oscillations in a field. For example, electromagnetic waves are disturbances in the electromagnetic field. However, not all fields have associated waves, and not all waves are associated with fields. For instance, sound waves are not disturbances in a field, but rather in a medium, such as air or water.