Force Homework: Find Force to Move Raft in Desired Direction

• Thread starter lcary
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the problem involves two crewmen pulling a raft through a lock with one person pulling at a 45 degree angle above the horizontal and the other pulling at a 35 degree angle below the horizontal with a force of 130N. The question is, what force will the person pulling from the 45 degree angle have to exert to make the boat move in the desired direction? To solve this problem, we use the trigonometric function cosine to find the adjacent side, which represents the desired force, and then use this value to find the hypotenuse for the other crewmen.
lcary

Homework Statement

I need help solving this force problem: Two crewmen pull a raft through a lock. One person is pulling from a 45 degree angle above the horizontal and the other is pulling at a 35 degree angle below the horizontal with a force of 130N. the middle of the boat (laying horizontally) can be the horizontal reference for the angles. Also, both crewmen are pulling from the same end of the boat, and in the same horizontal direction so that the boat moves in the direction they pull. The question is, what force will the person pulling from the 45 degree angle have to exert to make the boat move in the desired direction (toward the pullers)?

Homework Equations

[tex]\sumF[/tex]Fx=mAx

The Attempt at a Solution

Fx=130Ncos(35)?
I know I have to make the x and y force components equal zero, I am having trouble understanding what to use (cos or sin) for each angle and what sign they should have.

Physics news on Phys.org
well basically you want to know the force int he horizontal direction, this means that it is adjacent to the angle the crewmen are pulling, from the SOH CAH TOA , we use the one that has cos @ = adjacent / hypotenuse .

haha i just made the explanation sound long... yeah use Cos, i just hope my explanation helped you understand the problem, better brush up on your trigonometry.

basically the whole solution is find the adjacent, and then use the adjacent witht he 45 degree angle to find the hypotenuse for the other crewmen.

Good Luck!

What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that refers to the interaction between two objects, resulting in a change in motion or acceleration of an object.

How is force related to motion?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is directly proportional to the acceleration of an object. This means that the greater the force applied, the greater the acceleration of the object will be.

What factors affect the amount of force needed to move an object?

The amount of force needed to move an object depends on its mass and the type of surface it is moving on. The greater the mass of the object, the more force will be required to move it. Additionally, the type of surface, such as friction or incline, can also affect the amount of force needed.

How is force calculated?

Force is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration. This can be represented by the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

How can force be applied to move a raft in a desired direction?

To move a raft in a desired direction, force can be applied through pushing or pulling. This force must be greater than the resistance of the water and any other external forces, such as wind or currents. The direction of the force must also be aligned with the desired direction of motion for the raft.