1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about fourier transform

1. Feb 23, 2007 #1
    hi every one!

i want to know the fourier transform of x(t)
    x(t)=exp(-t/a)*sin(a*t), where a ,b is constant

and can it be work out by matlab?

another question is :
    how to proof the fourier transform of x(t) who follows normal distribution n(u, sigm^2 ) is also normal distribution ?

thanks !
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2007 #2
    Do you have your powers correct in the exponential? x(t) doesn't look like it would have a converging FT. Note, that as t -> -infinity, x(t) is unbounded.

BTW: sin(a*t) can be written in terms of complex exponentials.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  4. Feb 23, 2007 #3
    yes, you are right , it should be like this:
    x(t)=0 for t<0
    x(t)=exp(-t/a)*sin(b*t) for t>=0

and then ?
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  5. Feb 23, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi! MATLAB calculates things numerically. If you plug in numbers corresponding values for that function, then I believe the FFT ("fast Fourier transform") algorithm will spit out numbers for the Fourier transform (can't recall if you have to work out the frequencies yourself).

This is NOT what you want though. You want an analytical expression for the Fourier transform of that function, right? So my question is, what is the hang up here? In other words, where are you having a problem. Start with the *definition* of the Fourier transform, and go ahead:

[tex] X(\omega) = \mathcal{F}\{x(t)\} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x(t)e^{-i \omega t}\,dt = \int_{0}^{\infty} (e^{-t/a}\sin(bt))e^{-i \omega t}\,dt [/tex]

I think I got that right, but I'd double check it if I were you.

Again, what is the issue? You know the definition of a Fourier transform, right?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?