Question About Gamma Factor: Exploring Limits

• B
  • Thread starter NoahsArk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gamma
In summary: This means that the base of the triangle will be very long, and the gamma will be large. If the speed of the clock is much less than ##c##, then the light will reach the top of the clock very quickly, and the base of the triangle will be short. This means that the gamma will be small.
NoahsArk
Gold Member
I don't know why this problem just occurred to me- sorry if it's a silly question: Why is it that there isn't a limit to how high the gamma factor can be? How can you ever have a gamma factor which is more than 2, for example? Although if you plug the numbers into the equation for gamma it makes sense that you can have as high a gamma factor as you want, when you look at the problem visually as follows it seems impossible:

If a moving frame S1 has a light clock aboard his ship which is one light second high, that light clock will be the same height in the stationary S frame, and the vertical side of the right triangle which represents the light clock will be one light second high. From S's point of view, the base of the right triangle can't be any longer than 1 light second because S1's ship can't be traveling faster than light speed. The longest the base of the right triangle can be is slightly less than 1. So, assuming that the height and base of the right triangle are equal, the hypotenuse will never be more than double the height of vertical side. Since the length that S observes the light beam traveling can never be more than double what S1 observes, how can there ever be a gamma factor of more than 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
NoahsArk said:
I don't know why this problem just occurred to me- sorry if it's a silly question: Why is it that there isn't a limit to how high the gamma factor can be? How can you ever have a gamma factor which is more than 2, for example? Although if you plug the numbers into the equation for gamma it makes sense that you can have as high a gamma factor as you want, when you look at the problem visually as follows it seems impossible:

If a moving frame S1 has a light clock aboard his ship which is one light second high, that light clock will be the same height in the stationary S frame, and the vertical side of the right triangle which represents the light clock will be one light second high. From S's point of view, the base of the right triangle can't be any longer than 1 light second because S1's ship can't be traveling faster than light speed. The longest the base of the right triangle can be is slightly less than 1. So, assuming that the height and base of the right triangle are equal, the hypotenuse will never be more than double the height of vertical side. Since the length that S observes the light beam traveling can never be more than double what S1 observes, how can there ever be a gamma factor of more than 2?

The obvious answer is "do the maths"!

Likes Nugatory
Light is traveling on the diagonal as viewed from S, so its vertical speed is less than c. So the up-and-down time is greater than 2s.

Ok I see where my misconception is coming from. I must have had temporary brain freeze today because I understood this before. The vertical side of the right triangle is not representing the height of the light clock. It's representing the elapsed time on S1 's clock. Because this vertical side gets less and less the faster S1 moves away from S, there is no limit to how many times longer the hypotenuse can become and therefore no limit to how large gamma can be.

NoahsArk said:
Ok I see where my misconception is coming from. I must have had temporary brain freeze today because I understood this before. The vertical side of the right triangle is not representing the height of the light clock. It's representing the elapsed time on S1 's clock. Because this vertical side gets less and less the faster S1 moves away from S, there is no limit to how many times longer the hypotenuse can become and therefore no limit to how large gamma can be.

I would say it's the base of the triangle that is of variable length (with no upper limit). If the speed of the clock is nearly ##c##, then in the "stationary" frame, the light will travel a long way horizontally before it reaches the top of the clock.

Likes Ibix

1. What is the concept of gamma factor?

The gamma factor is a mathematical term used to describe the relationship between the velocity of an object and its corresponding time dilation. It is a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity and is often used to explain the effects of time dilation on objects moving at high speeds.

2. How is the gamma factor calculated?

The gamma factor is calculated using the formula: γ = 1/√(1-(v²/c²)), where v is the velocity of the object and c is the speed of light. This formula shows that as the velocity of an object approaches the speed of light, the gamma factor approaches infinity, resulting in significant time dilation.

3. What are the practical applications of the gamma factor?

The concept of the gamma factor has many practical applications, including understanding the effects of time dilation on objects traveling at high speeds, such as satellites and spacecraft. It is also used in particle accelerators and nuclear reactors, where high speeds are achieved, to calculate the effects of time dilation on particles.

4. Can the gamma factor be greater than 1?

Yes, the gamma factor can be greater than 1. In fact, the gamma factor increases as the velocity of an object approaches the speed of light, resulting in a value greater than 1. This represents the significant time dilation experienced by objects traveling at high speeds.

5. How does the gamma factor relate to the theory of relativity?

The concept of the gamma factor is closely related to the theory of relativity, specifically the theory of special relativity. It helps to explain the effects of time dilation and length contraction on objects moving at high speeds, as predicted by the theory. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the relationship between space and time in the theory of relativity.