1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about geomagnetic poles and geographic poles, distance to each from a city

1. Nov 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i have a question that involves geographic coordinates of a city and magnetic data here it is:
    compare geomagnetic and geographic latitude to determine whether a city is closer to geographic of geemagnetic pole. the geographic coordinates are 75.55W and 45.40N. the horizontal and vertical magnetic field components are 17277.0, -4403.6 and 52474.2 (in nanoteslas).
    does anyone know how i can do this? is there a certain equation? i have an idea how to and it involves finding the geographic coordinates of the magnetic north pole, but i dont know how to do this either. anyone know how?

2. Relevant equations
    im not really sure

3. The attempt at a solution
    i havent tried it but ive been looking through my notes and i cant see any way at finding how to do this, i was thinking it may have something to do with finding the geographic coordinates of the magnetic pole of find the nanoteslas reading at the geographic poles. anyone have any ideas?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?