Question about moment of inertia of area. lecture note from malaysia uni given.

In summary, the conversation revolves around the differences between I and I bar, and when to use the equations (I bar x prime) = (1/12bh cube) and (Ix) = (1/3bh cube). The speaker also mentions the assignment given by their lecturer and the use of the parallel-axis theorem in solving the question. It is noted that the teacher made a mistake in the nomenclature, causing confusion in the assignment question. The correct formula to use for question 2(b) is Ix = summation[(1/12)b*h^3 + A*d^2].
aiklone1314
please download the lecture note to understand my question.

1. What is the difference between (I) and (I bar) ? is I = I bar?they are the same?
2.in the slide i uploaded, chapter5.8 pg 31, the equation for rectangle, (I bar x prime) = (1/12bh cube) and (Ix) = (1/3bh cube) ,as you can see,their equation are different.
I know (I bar x prime) = (1/12bh cube) is used in the equation (Ix)= (1/12bh cube+ Ady square) , but when to use this equation (Ix) = (1/3bh cube) ?

p/s:I am an engineering student from malaysia university.

Attachments

• 2c5.PDF
    1.1 MB · Views: 760
Physics news on Phys.org
How about you go back to section 5.5, page 9 and reread the information regarding the Parallel-Axis theorem.

minger said:
How about you go back to section 5.5, page 9 and reread the information regarding the Parallel-Axis theorem.

i know ,but the assignment question given by the lecturer doensnt means this.
if i use (I bar x)=(1/12bhcube) equation to solve the question in assignment 2(b) (Ibar x)and(Ibary), the answer is wrong.

Attachments

• ass7.PDF
    411.1 KB · Views: 403
I with no bar isn't used on that assignment. In fact, the question tells you which axis to take the moment about. You need to include the parallel axis theorem, the answer will be:
[tex]
I = \sum \frac{bh^3}{12} + Ad^2[/tex]

aiklone1314: It appears your teacher made a mistake in his nomenclature in question 2(b). He accidentally typed Ibarx and Ibary, but he meant to type Ix and Ibary. Therefore, for question 2(b), use the following parallel axis theorem formula, mentioned by minger, to compute Ix.

Ix = summation[(1/12)b*h^3 + A*d^2]

1. What is moment of inertia of area?

Moment of inertia of area, also known as second moment of area, is a mathematical property of a shape that represents its resistance to bending. It is a measure of how the shape's cross-sectional area is distributed around its centroid.

2. How is moment of inertia of area calculated?

The moment of inertia of area is calculated by multiplying the area of each element of the shape by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation and then summing up all these products. This can be represented by the equation I = ∫ y^2 dA, where I is the moment of inertia, y is the distance from the axis of rotation, and dA is the area element.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia of area?

The units of moment of inertia of area depend on the units of the shape's cross-sectional area. For example, if the area is given in square meters, the moment of inertia will have units of meters to the fourth power (m^4).

4. How does moment of inertia of area affect the stiffness of a structure?

Moment of inertia of area is directly related to the stiffness of a structure. The higher the moment of inertia, the stiffer the structure will be and the less it will bend under a given load. This is why materials with high moments of inertia, such as steel, are commonly used in construction.

5. Can the moment of inertia of area be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of area can be changed by altering the shape or distribution of the cross-sectional area. For example, adding material to increase the area further from the axis of rotation will increase the moment of inertia and make the structure stiffer. Additionally, changing the axis of rotation can also change the moment of inertia.