Question about pressure waves (vmax, deltaP)

In summary, the conversation discusses an isotropic sound source located 5m away with a loudness of 50 dB. The speed of sound is 341.6 m/s and the atmospheric pressure is 1.01 × 105 Pa with a density of 1.2 kg/m3. The questions ask for the maximum speed at which air molecules move and the pressure amplitude of the accompanying pressure wave. The equations used to solve for these values are I = 1/2pvvmax^2 and I = 1/2*deltaP^2/pv, with the resulting values of vmax = 10^3.8 m/s and deltaP = 10^3.8 Pa.
vande060

Homework Statement

an isotropic sound source 5m away from you, of loudness is
50 dB. The speed of sound is 341.6 m/s , atmospheric pressure is 1.01 × 105 Pa and its density is
1.2 kg/m3

What is the maximum speed with which the air molecules move, due to the
passage of the wave?

and

What is the pressure amplitude of the accompanying pressure wave? (com-
pute the largest pressure deviation from atmospheric pressure caused by the wave) .

Homework Equations

I = 1/2pvvmax^2
I = 1/2*deltaP^2/pv

The Attempt at a Solution

okay so the first one seems pretty clear on the plug ins:

I = 1/2pvvmax^2

(I*1/2*341.6*1.2)^1/2 = vmax

I guess its the same for the second

I = 1/2*deltaP^2/pv
(I * 1/2*1.2*341.6)^1/2 = deltaP

this question can pretty much be distilled down to:

how can i calculate I with the given information?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess I could use the loudness equation, but I don't think that's the intent here.Loudness = 10 log(I/Io)Io = 10-12 W/m^2so I = 10^((50-12)/10) = 10^3.8 W/m^2vmax = (10^3.8*1/2*341.6*1.2)^1/2 deltaP = (10^3.8*1/2*1.2*341.6)^1/2 is this correct?

1. What does vmax refer to in pressure waves?

Vmax, or maximum velocity, refers to the highest point of oscillation in a pressure wave. It represents the peak of the wave's amplitude.

2. How is deltaP related to pressure waves?

DeltaP, or pressure difference, is directly related to pressure waves. In a pressure wave, deltaP is the difference between the peak pressure and the lowest pressure point of the wave.

3. What factors affect vmax in pressure waves?

The factors that affect vmax in pressure waves include the amplitude of the wave, the density of the medium through which the wave is traveling, and the frequency of the wave.

4. How is vmax calculated in pressure waves?

Vmax can be calculated by dividing the frequency of the wave by the wavelength, or by multiplying the amplitude of the wave by the square root of 2.

5. How do pressure waves with different vmax values behave differently?

Pressure waves with higher vmax values have a larger amplitude and therefore a more intense effect on the medium through which they are traveling. They may also have a shorter wavelength and a higher frequency, resulting in a faster propagation speed.