Question about taking the difference between two square root expression

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper by Ramakrishna and his derivation of equation (9) on page 5. The equation involves a difference of two square-roots using an approximation method. The first order Taylor approximation is used and the delta-tee is rewritten to emphasize its small size. There is a typo error in the 1/4 term in the equation for PDsat-B(B:2).
zaybu
In Ramakrishna's paper, http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1111/1111.1922.pdf , he derived equation (9), page 5.

It is a difference of two square-roots using an approximation method. Can anyone help in how this is done?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Lets see - the equation would have been:

[tex]
\frac{1}{c}\sqrt{
H^2 + \frac{1}{4}\left (
\frac{D}{2}-v\Delta t
\right )^2
} - \frac{1}{c}\sqrt{
H^2+\frac{D^2}{4}
} \approx -\frac{1}{2}\frac{v \delta t}{c}\frac{D}{\sqrt{H^2 + \frac{D^2}{4}}}
[/tex]

The text says this is "to first order in [itex]v\Delta t[/itex]" ... which means he took the Taylor Series to first order, putting [itex]x=v\Delta t[/itex] about [itex]x=0[/itex].

Taking the LHS for f(x), the 1st order Taylor approx is:

[tex]f(x) \approx f(0) + x{f^\prime}(0) [/tex]

He just rewrote the delta-tee to emphasize it's small size.

I havn't actually crunched the numbers but it looks about the right shape - the deriverative gets you the -1/2 and pulls the vδt outside the root - putting the root itself in the denominator.

Simon Bridge said:
Lets see - the equation would have been:

[tex]
\frac{1}{c}\sqrt{
H^2 + \frac{1}{4}\left (
\frac{D}{2}-v\Delta t
\right )^2
} - \frac{1}{c}\sqrt{
H^2+\frac{D^2}{4}
} \approx -\frac{1}{2}\frac{v \delta t}{c}\frac{D}{\sqrt{H^2 + \frac{D^2}{4}}}
[/tex]

The text says this is "to first order in [itex]v\Delta t[/itex]" ... which means he took the Taylor Series to first order, putting [itex]x=v\Delta t[/itex] about [itex]x=0[/itex].

Taking the LHS for f(x), the 1st order Taylor approx is:

[tex]f(x) \approx f(0) + x{f^\prime}(0) [/tex]

He just rewrote the delta-tee to emphasize it's small size.

I havn't actually crunched the numbers but it looks about the right shape - the deriverative gets you the -1/2 and pulls the vδt outside the root - putting the root itself in the denominator.

Thanks, I appreciate.

I suspect that 1/4 in the first square root is not supposed to be there.
If you leave it off, then the zeroth order term vanishes at x=0 and

[tex]f^\prime (v\Delta t) = \frac{1}{c}\frac{1}{2}\left [ H^2 + \left ( \frac{D}{2} -v\Delta t \right )^2 \right ]^{-1/2} 2 \left ( \frac{D}{2} -v\Delta t \right ) (-1)[/tex]

(Leaving it messy to show the working.) So the first order term, [itex](v\delta t) f^\prime(0)[/itex], comes out as shown.

Otherwise you end up with:

[tex]
f(v\delta t) \approx

\frac{1}{c}\sqrt{H^2 + \frac{1}{4}\frac{D^2}{4}} -
\frac{1}{c}\sqrt{H^2 + \frac{D^2}{4}} -

\frac{1}{8}\frac{v\delta t}{c}\frac{D}{\sqrt{H^2 + \frac{1}{4}\frac{D^2}{4}}}

[/tex]

I have not found any reason for the division by 4 in the equation for PDsat-B(B:2) since it should just be the distance from B to the satellite (in position 2) by Pythagoras.

Indeed, the 1/4 in the PDsat-b(B:2) term is a typo error.

Thanks again

1. What is the process for taking the difference between two square root expressions?

The process for taking the difference between two square root expressions involves expanding and simplifying the expressions, then subtracting them from each other. This can also be done by converting the expressions into rational form and then subtracting.

2. Can you provide an example of taking the difference between two square root expressions?

Yes, for example, if we have the expressions √25 and √16, we can expand them to be 5 and 4 respectively. Then, we can subtract 4 from 5 to get a difference of 1.

3. Is there a specific rule or formula for taking the difference between two square root expressions?

Yes, there is a formula for taking the difference between two square root expressions, which is (a√x) - (b√y) = a√x - b√y. This formula applies when the expressions have the same radicand (the number under the square root sign).

4. What should I do if the square root expressions have different radicands?

If the square root expressions have different radicands, you can convert them into rational form and then subtract them. Another option is to simplify and approximate the expressions to get an estimation of the difference between them.

5. Are there any special cases I should be aware of when taking the difference between two square root expressions?

Yes, there are a few special cases to keep in mind. Firstly, when taking the difference between two square root expressions with negative numbers, you must remember to include the imaginary unit, "i", in the final answer. Additionally, if the expressions have a coefficient other than 1, you must distribute the coefficient before subtracting the radicands.