Question about the Boltzmann distribution

In summary, the Debye-Huckle theory states that the number of particles in a solution or gas is governed by a Boltzmann distribution.
dRic2
Gold Member
I was reading about the Debye-Huckle theory for electrolytes solutions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debye–Hückel_theory). In all the books, notes, and in the wikipedia age too, there is this statement that troubles me:

"Wikipedia" said:
calculate the charge density by means of a Boltzmann distribution:
$$n(r) = \bar n exp( \frac {-z_i e \psi(r)} {k_B T})$$

Shouldn't I have the "normalization factor" (i.e ##1/Z##) in the above equation?

Thanks Ric

Physics news on Phys.org
No. It is not a probability distribution but a number density of ions.
Peter Atkins (Physical Chemistry) writes:
The difference in energy of an ion j of charge ##z_je## at a position where the central ion i is giving rise to a potential ##\phi_i## relative to its energy at infinity (where the potential is zero) is ##\Delta E = z_je\phi_i##.
The Boltzmann distribution then gives the proportion of of ions at this location relative to the proportion in the bulk solution (effectively at infinity: $${{\mathcal N}_j\over {\mathcal N}_j^\circ}={ \text {
number of }{\sf j}\text{ ions per unit volume where the potential is }\phi_i \over \text {
number of }{\sf j}\text { ions per unit volume where the potential is zero}} \\ \mathstrut \\
=e^{-\Delta E/kT}\ , \ \ {\sf with} \quad \Delta E = z_je\phi_i\ .
$$This means that $$
{\mathcal N}_j/ {\mathcal N}_j^\circ =e^{- z_j e\phi_i/kT}\ . $$

Likes dRic2 and vanhees71
Ahhh. So basically
$$n(r) = \frac N Z e^{-\beta z_i e \psi(r)}$$
is the mean number of particles in the state with energy ##z_i e \psi(r)## (where ##N## is the total number of particles in the system). Also
$$\bar n( \infty) = \frac N Z e^{- \beta z_i e \psi( \infty )} = \frac N Z$$
since ## \psi( \infty ) = 0##. Then:
$$ \frac {n(r)} {\bar n} = e^{-\beta z_i e \psi(r)}$$
The multiplying by ##\frac V V## I get the density distribution. Am I right ?

:rolleyes: Remind us what your capital ##Z## is in this context. I don't see it appear in the analysis

the partition function

Do you think my reasoning is correct ?

1. What is the Boltzmann distribution?

The Boltzmann distribution is a probability distribution that describes the distribution of energies among particles in a system at a given temperature. It is named after Austrian physicist Ludwig Boltzmann.

2. How is the Boltzmann distribution derived?

The Boltzmann distribution is derived from the principles of statistical mechanics, specifically the Boltzmann factor, which relates the energy of a particle to its probability of being in a certain state. It is also derived from the laws of thermodynamics and the concept of entropy.

3. What is the significance of the Boltzmann distribution?

The Boltzmann distribution is significant because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles in a system at a given temperature. It is used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology, to analyze and model the behavior of systems at the molecular level.

4. How does temperature affect the Boltzmann distribution?

Temperature has a direct effect on the Boltzmann distribution. As temperature increases, the distribution shifts towards higher energy states, meaning that there is a higher probability of particles having higher energies. This is because at higher temperatures, particles have more energy and are more likely to occupy higher energy states.

5. Can the Boltzmann distribution be applied to all systems?

The Boltzmann distribution can be applied to most systems, as long as they are in thermal equilibrium. This means that the system is at a constant temperature and the particles are interacting with each other. However, it may not accurately describe systems with strong interactions or non-equilibrium conditions.