How can the limits of this integral be changed to make it easier to solve?

• Thread starter issacnewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about solving a complex integral and the difficulties with using a substitution method due to discontinuity. The solution manual suggests using a different approach, which the asker does not understand and seeks clarification on.
issacnewton
Hi

I was trying to solve this problem. The integral is

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{d\phi}{1+a \cos \phi} [/tex]

Now I came across the integral while doing one of the problems in "Introduction to
Electrodynamics" By David Griffiths (3ed) . The substitution of course, as suggested by
Karl Weierstrass, is

[tex]t=\tan(\frac{\phi}{2}) [/tex]

But the new limits of the integral are same at lower and upper point. I checked the solution
manual of the book and the author says that

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{d\phi}{1+a \cos \phi}=2\int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{d\phi}{1+a \cos \phi}[/tex]

I couldn't understand this step. Any insight will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
wouldn't [itex]\cos(\pi-x)=-\cos(x)[/itex] ?

But looking at my original integral limits, or seeing that the substitution gives the same upper and lower limit, how would I think in your direction. I mean , when I see that the substitution gives same limits, I feel like stuck there. How do I analyze the situation mathematically ?

IssacNewton said:
Hi

I was trying to solve this problem. The integral is

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{d\phi}{1+a \cos \phi} [/tex]

Now I came across the integral while doing one of the problems in "Introduction to
Electrodynamics" By David Griffiths (3ed) . The substitution of course, as suggested by
Karl Weierstrass, is

[tex]t=\tan(\frac{\phi}{2}) [/tex]

But the new limits of the integral are same at lower and upper point.

This is because the substitution is not allowed in this case. You'll need the substitution function, that is [tex]\tan(\phi/2)[/tex] to be continuously differentiable on [tex][0,2\pi][/tex]. But it isn't continuous in pi. This is not a problem with indefinite integrals however...

I checked the solution
manual of the book and the author says that

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{d\phi}{1+a \cos \phi}=2\int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{d\phi}{1+a \cos \phi}[/tex]

I couldn't understand this step. Any insight will be appreciated.

Do

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{d\phi}{1+a \cos \phi}[tex]=\int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{d\phi}{1+a \cos \phi}+\int_{\pi}^{2\pi} \frac{d\phi}{1+a \cos \phi}[/tex]

Now, in the last integral, do the substituation [tex]t=2\pi-\phi[/tex]...

IssacNewton said:
wouldn't [itex]\cos(\pi-x)=-\cos(x)[/itex] ?

But looking at my original integral limits, or seeing that the substitution gives the same upper and lower limit, how would I think in your direction. I mean , when I see that the substitution gives same limits, I feel like stuck there. How do I analyze the situation mathematically ?

Yeah, I spoke a little too fast. Try cos(2pi-x)=cos(x). Take the integral over [pi,2pi] and substitute 2pi-u=theta.

micromass, I TOTALLY forgot about the continuity. Doing too much physics does that
to the person...lol

Dick, thanks for the input.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve or the total accumulation of a function. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and can be thought of as the opposite of differentiation.

2. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It is important to also determine the limits of integration and apply them to the final answer.

3. What does it mean to integrate with respect to a variable?

Integrating with respect to a variable means that you are finding the area under a curve with respect to that variable. For example, if you integrate a function f(x) with respect to x, you are finding the area under the curve of f(x) on the x-axis.

4. Can integrals be used in real-world applications?

Yes, integrals are used in many real-world applications, such as finding the volume of a three-dimensional object, calculating the work done by a force, or determining the average value of a function.

5. How do you know when to use an integral?

You can use an integral when you need to find the area under a curve or the total accumulation of a function. It is also used to solve problems involving rates of change, such as finding the velocity or acceleration of an object.