Question based on a video (battery and voltage)
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
50 replies · 5K views
Physics news on Phys.org
gracy
- 2,486
- 83
gracy said:From time 7:22 to 7:32 he says if we take ##Q_1##>##Q_2## then ##V_x## >##V_y##
This is for initial condition, right? Because finally it does not matter whether ##Q_1## is greater or ##Q_2## , final potential at x will always be greater than final potential at y. Right?
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 3,489
- 1,173
If Q1 is greater, voltage polarity of C1 will not change in the end.gracy said:This is for initial condition, right? Because finally it does not matter whether ##Q_1## is greater or ##Q_2## , final potential at x will always be greater than final potential at y. Right?
Last edited:
gracy
- 2,486
- 83
And even if Q1 isn't greater final potential at x will still be greater than final potential at y. Right?cnh1995 said:I think so. If Q1 is greater, voltage polarity of C1 will not change in the end.
gracy
- 2,486
- 83
What are these pictures about?
gracy
- 2,486
- 83
##q_{1f}## + ##q_{2f}## =##Q_{1f}## - ##Q_{2f}##
If ##Q_{1f}## < ##Q_{2f}##
It means ##q_{1f}## < ##q_{2f}##
But it does not tell much about polarity of ##q_{1f}##.
If ##Q_{1f}## < ##Q_{2f}##
It means ##q_{1f}## < ##q_{2f}##
But it does not tell much about polarity of ##q_{1f}##.
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 3,489
- 1,173
See #37. The polarity of 10uF has changed. If Q1 is more, it will retain its polarity.gracy said:##q_{1f}## + ##q_{2f}## =##Q_{1f}## - ##Q_{2f}##
If ##Q_{1f}## < ##Q_{2f}##
It means ##q_{1f}## < ##q_{2f}##
But it does not tell much about polarity of ##q_{1f}##.
gracy
- 2,486
- 83
I am unable to comprehend those pictures in post #37.
gracy
- 2,486
- 83
cnh1995 said:eater, Vxf>Vyf. In #37, Q1(charge on 10uF)is less than Q2(charge on 5uF). Hence, polarity of C1(10uF) changed, making Vxf<Vyf.
How one Can prove it ? I mean besides experimentally.
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 3,489
- 1,173
It is a simulation result. It is an example of the case 3 in that video. In that circuit, Q1(charge on 10uF) is less than Q2(charge on 5uF) but initially Vx>Vy. When the middle switch is closed, it becomes the case 3. You can see the polarity of the 10uF reversed in the steady state, making Vx<Vy.gracy said:I am unable to comprehend those pictures in post #37.
Last edited:
gracy
- 2,486
- 83
Can you give me link to that simulation site?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 11,986
- 1,584
gracy,
When you said the following (way) back in Post #30,
When you said the following (way) back in Post #30,
I thought it was clear to you as to why Vx > Vy . ##\ ## After all, Vx − Vy = (Q1 − Q2)/(C1 + C2) .gracy said:There will be potential different between points x and y given by ##\frac{Q1-Q2}{C1+C2}##
Right?
gracy
- 2,486
- 83
I thought this formula is for potential difference and it is not particularly ##V_x## - ##V_y## rather ##V_+## - ##V_-##. I know it's bit odd but that's what I thought.
gracy
- 2,486
- 83
When I thought it is ##V_+## - ##V_-##
By ##V_+## I mean potential at either x or y whichever is at greater (positive potential ).
(##Q_1## - ##Q_2##)/(##C_1## + ##C_2## )This formula just gives potential difference and does not specify anything about which point is at greater potential.This is what I thought.
I wrote there will be potential different between points x and y given by (##Q_1## - ##Q_2##)/(##C_1## + ##C_2## ) because at that time I knew x is at greater potential.
By ##V_+## I mean potential at either x or y whichever is at greater (positive potential ).
(##Q_1## - ##Q_2##)/(##C_1## + ##C_2## )This formula just gives potential difference and does not specify anything about which point is at greater potential.This is what I thought.
I wrote there will be potential different between points x and y given by (##Q_1## - ##Q_2##)/(##C_1## + ##C_2## ) because at that time I knew x is at greater potential.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 11,986
- 1,584
First, think.gracy said:When I thought it is ##V_+## - ##V_-##
By ##V_+## I mean potential at either x or y whichever is at greater (positive potential ).
(##Q_1## - ##Q_2##)/(##C_1## + ##C_2## )This formula just gives potential difference and does not specify anything about which point is at greater potential.This is what thought.
The above formula does specify which is at higher potential.
If ##\ Q_1< Q_2 \,,\ ## then ##\ Q_1- Q_2 \ ## and ##\ V_x- V_y \ ## are negative meaning Vy becomes the V+.
I wrote there will be potential different between points x and y given by (##Q_1## - ##Q_2##)/(##C_1## + ##C_2## ) because at that time I knew x is at greater potential.
Similar threads
- RJLiberator
- · Replies 2 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 2
- shadedude123
- · Replies 2 ·
- Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
- Replies
- 2
- TRB8985
- · Replies 3 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 3
- Menbailee
- · Replies 1 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 1
- gradev
- · Replies 26 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 26
High School
Question based on real experience
- zinedine_88
- · Replies 5 ·
- Thermodynamics
- Replies
- 5
- Krist
- · Replies 1 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 1
- optimizer
- · Replies 18 ·
- Electrical Engineering
- Replies
- 18
Graduate
Helmholtz coil based air thruster?
- GreenAce92
- · Replies 5 ·
- High Energy, Nuclear, Particle Physics
- Replies
- 5
- element08824
- · Replies 20 ·
- STEM Educators and Teaching
- Replies
- 20