Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question involving load on beams

1. Jul 11, 2009 #1
    Hey, so there are three loads on a beam the units they are is in pounds (i.e. 7200pounds is one of the loads). There are two cases each for which I need to calculate reactions and draw bending moments and a sheer force diagram.

The PDF attachment contains the information in more detail help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2009 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

luysion: Is this a school assignment? If so, you must list relevant equations, and show your work.

4. Jul 13, 2009 #3
    sum forces and moments in y and at a pivot point. draw shear diag from that info.

integral of shear is moment. just make sure you got equil. on your beam.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2009
  5. Jul 15, 2009 #4
    hey nick and nvn thanks alot, this isnt my homework nvn heh im trying to learn this concept.
    ive done some working out if any1 could check it out much appreciated

Attached Files:

6. Jul 15, 2009 #5
    In case 1, there is no applied moment at the point in which the first load is applied, therefore the moment would start at zero. Untill the upward force of 7200, all areas on the shear diagram are negative, which means all lines on the moment diagram until that point have a negative slope. I did not check your numbers, but that appears to be the only mistake.

Your case 2 appears right, but I did not run the numbers.

7. Jul 15, 2009 #6
    I have worked out Case #1... Please see the attached jpegs.

You can solve for Case #2 using the same methods described in the scaned images.

Let me know if you have a problem with it.

Regards,

Attached Files:

8. Jul 19, 2009 #7
    Nick bruno + Tony71502
    thanks alot guys really appreciate it
    nick your working helped me out a heap thanks man :)

ive almost completed the work myself thanks to the help recieved

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook