Exploring Boundary Points: A Guide for Finding All Points on the Boundary

In summary: I'm really confused! I don't understand how I can actually find all the points.. can anyone get me started??You can start by trying to find all the points that are in the set S. For any point (x,y), there is a value of y such that |(x,y)-(0,1)|<e. So you can start by finding all the points that are within the set S and then checking to see if |(x,y)-(1,2)|<e. If it is, then that point is a boundary point for the set S. If it's not, then you can try to find another point that is within the set S and is closer
tara123
Question on Boundary Points!

Determine all boundary points:

S={(x,y); 0 < x< 1 and y= sin(1/(1-x)}

I'm really confused! I don't understand how I can actually find all the points.. can anyone get me started??

The help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

S is going to be a curve, so it looks like it's asking you to find what's the boundary at x=0 and at x=1. At x=1 of course you're going to run into a snag because 1/(1-x) doesn't act so nice there, so start by finding the boundary point at x=0

Maybe start somewhere eaiser -- can you find any boundary points at all? Can you find all boundary points that lie in some easily-described subset of the plane?

Hey! Thats funny I have the same question in my practice questions too!
Anyone know how to do it? My prof gives no examples!

You could try starting with an easier problem -- can you find any boundary points at all? Can you find all boundary points that lie in some easily-described subset of the plane?

well sin(x) would probably be easier but how to find the actual points. if u take x=0 then sin (0)=0 and sin(1)=π/2

haha yah don't feel bad I am pretty lost too!

Above ur taking the new function of y to be sin(x) right? .. this seems wrong lol no offence

k me and tara123 clearly don't know what were talking about can anyone help us?

So for example, if you had S={(x,y)|y=x2+1 0<x<1} you can see that the boundary points of that curve are going to be exactly at (0,1) and (1,2). Now why is that. For any e>0, you can find a point on the curve S (x,y) such that |(x,y)-(0,1)|<e and also for any e>0, you can find a point on the curve (x,y) such that |(x,y)-(1,2)|<e. It's pretty easy here because y=x2+1 is a continuous function, so if you're told all the points x>0 are included, then the value at x=0 must be included.

So for the set S that you have, it's continuous away from x=1. So by the same process, we conclude that it has a boundary point at x=0. You should be able to find that point by yourself.

The tricky part is for x=1. It's not continuous there. What's the behavior of sin(1/(1-x)) as x approaches 1? What values of (1,y) might be part of the boundary?

First, have you drawn a sketch of the set?
S={(x,y); 0 < x< 1 and y= sin(1/(1-x)} is essentially the graph of y= sin(1/(1-x)) for 0< x< 1. (One thing I would be inclined to do is let u= 1-s so this is y= sin(1/u) for 0< 1< u.) Look closely at what happens around u= 0 (x= 1).

360px-Sin1over_x.svg.png

I found an image for when y=sin(1/u), but when you look at u=0, there is never a defined value for it as the function doesn't exist at u=0. I don't see how that would apply to our function.

yah so for x=0 y=sin(1)=pi
and for x=1 i just look at what the graph does as it approaches 0?

sorry i meant sin(1)=PI/2

but just one other thing, I've bin thinking and y=sin(1/1-x) o<x<1 0 isn't even contained in the set...so how is it a boundary point if 0 is strictly less than x?
Help!

1. What are boundary points?

Boundary points are points on the edge or boundary of a set or region. They are often points that are shared by multiple subsets or regions.

2. How do you determine if a point is a boundary point?

A point is considered a boundary point if every neighborhood of that point contains points both inside and outside of the set or region it is a part of.

3. Can a point be both a boundary point and an interior point?

No, a point cannot be both a boundary point and an interior point. An interior point is a point that is completely contained within a set or region, while a boundary point is on the edge or boundary of the set or region.

4. Are boundary points necessary for defining a set or region?

Yes, boundary points are necessary for defining a set or region. They help to define the edges and boundaries of the set or region and provide important information about the structure of the set or region.

5. How are boundary points used in mathematics and science?

Boundary points are used in various fields of mathematics and science, including topology, geometry, and physics. They are important for understanding the structure and properties of sets, regions, and objects in these fields.