Question on Function: y=3x^2 -1/x^3

• Thread starter majinknight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the function y=3x^2 -1/x^3 has no y-intercept but has two x-intercepts at positive and negative square root of 3. It has a vertical asymptote at x=0 and a horizontal asymptote at y=0. The function is increasing for -1<x<1 and decreasing for x<-1 and x>1. There is a local minimum at (-1, -2) and a local maximum at (1,2). The graph is concave downward for x<- square root 2 and x< square root 2, and concave upward for x> square root 2. There is a point of inflection at x= square root 2 and y
majinknight
Hi i was wondering if somone could check to see if i did this question correctly.
The question is: For the function y=3x^2 -1/x^3
a)Determine the x-intercept(s) and y-intercept(s)
b)Determine any asymptotes
c)Find the intervals of increase and decrease
d)Final all maximums and minimums
e)Find the interval(s) where the graph is concave upward and concave downward
f)Find any points of inflection

a) when x=0, y=-1/0, so the y-intercept is not in the real number plane.
when y=0, x^2=1/3, so the x-intercepts are positive 1/square root of 3 and negitive 1/square root 3.

b)Verticle: x^3=0
x=0, there fore a verticle asymptote at x=0.

limit as x->0 from the left -1/small negitive number= positive infinity(shoots upward).
limit as x->0 from the right -1/small positive number=negitive infinity (shoots downward).

Horizontal: lim as x->infinity from the right 3x^2/x^3 =lim as x-> infinity from the right 3/x =0.
lim as x->infinity from the left =3/x =0
Therefore there is a horizontal asymptote at y=0.
For very large positive values of x the function approaches the horizontal asymptote from above. For very "large" negitive values of x the function approaches the horizontal asymptote from below.

Slant: There is no slant asymptote.

c)d) dy/dx= 6(x^3)- (3x^2 -1)(3x^2) / x^6
=-3x^4 + 3x^2 / x^6
=-3(x^2 -1) / x^4
0=x^2 - 1
x= positive and negitive one

So when i make my chart i get that a local minimum occurs at (-1, -2) and a local maximum at (1,2). The function is increasing when -1<x<1. The function is decreasing when x<-1 and x>1.

e)f) second derivitive= (-12x^3 + 6x)(x^6) - (-3x^4 +3x^2)(6x^5) / x^12
=6x^9 - 12x^7 / x^12
=6(x^2 - 2) / x^5
0=x^2 - 2
x= positive and negitive square root of 2

So when i do my chart i get that the function is concave down when x<- square root 2 or when negitive square root 2<x< square root 2. The function is concave up when x> square root two. A point of inflection is at x=square root two and y= 5/ 2 square root 2.

I hope that was not too confusing the way i put it, and if anyone can see a mistake i wouldn't very much appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks pretty good to me!

I assume that you MEAN y= (3x2-1)/x3 and NOT y= (3x2)- (1/x3).

Yes, because 1/x3 is not defined at x= 0, neither is y: the graph has no y-intercept but does have a vertical asymptote at x= 0.

y= 0= (3x2-1)/x3 is the same as 3x2-1= 0 so
x= +/- &radic;(1/3) are the two x-intercepts.

Since the denominator has a higher degree than the numerator, there is a horizontal asymptote at y= 3 and no slant asymptote.

y'= ((6x)(x3)- (3x2-1)(3x2))/x6
= (6x4- 9x4- 3x2)/x6

which will be positive as long as -3x4- 3x2= -3x2(x2- 1) is positive which is the same as x2- 1 negative. Yes, that will be 0 at x= 1 or -1, It will be positive (and so y' is negative) for x< -1, y' will be positive for -1< x< 0. It stays positive for 0< x< 1, and is negative for x> 1.

That is: y is decreasing for x< -1, has a local minimum at x= -1 (when y= -2). increasing from -2 to infinity for -1< x< 0, increasing from -infinity to 2 for 0< x< 1, has a local maximum at x= 1 (when y= -2) and then decreases for x> 1.

The second derivative is just as you say. It is 0 at x= +/- &radic;(2), is negative for x< -&radic;(2), positive for -&radic;(2)< x< 0, negative for 0< x< &radic;(2), positive for x> &radic;(2).
That is: there are inflection points at +/- &radic;(2), the graph is convex downward for x< -&radic;(2), convex upward for -&radic;(2)< x< 0, convex downward for 0< x< &radic;(2), and convex upward for x> &radic;(2).

Alright Thanks!

What is the function y=3x^2 -1/x^3 and how do I graph it?

The function y=3x^2 -1/x^3 is a polynomial function with a degree of 5. To graph it, you can use a graphing calculator or plot points by choosing different values for x and solving for y. You can also use the intercepts and end behavior to help you graph the function.

What is the domain of the function y=3x^2 -1/x^3?

The domain of this function is all real numbers except for x=0, since division by 0 is undefined. In interval notation, the domain would be (-∞, 0) U (0, ∞).

What is the range of the function y=3x^2 -1/x^3?

The range of this function is also all real numbers except for y=0, since division by 0 is undefined. In interval notation, the range would be (-∞, 0) U (0, ∞).

How do I find the x and y intercepts of the function y=3x^2 -1/x^3?

To find the x-intercept, set y=0 and solve for x. To find the y-intercept, set x=0 and solve for y. In this case, the x-intercept is (1/3, 0) and the y-intercept is (0, -1).

How do I find the critical points of the function y=3x^2 -1/x^3?

The critical points of this function are where the derivative is equal to 0 or undefined. To find the derivative, you can use the power rule and the quotient rule. Setting the derivative equal to 0 and solving for x, we get critical points at x=0 and x=±√(1/3). However, since x=0 is not in the domain, the only critical point is x=±√(1/3). You can also use the second derivative test to determine if these points are local maxima or minima.