Question on proofs for a CS related class

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question on how to approach writing a proof for a given problem in a homework assignment. The concept of mathematical rigor is mentioned and the pigeonhole principle is suggested as a possible approach. There is some confusion about the application of the principle to the problem and a hint is given to consider the scenario of 6 people sitting around a table. The conversation continues with further discussion and clarification.
Bensky

Homework Statement

As a background to this...I have no experience with proofs at all. I did not take a formal geometry class in high school (took a shortened summer course that gave a VERY brief overview of proofs) and have not gotten to discrete math in university, so I really do not know how to approach/write proofs.

At the top of my homework, it says: "For each problem solution, attempt to adhere to mathematical rigor. Proofs and arguments should be detailed and complete." I've never heard of mathematical rigor and after looking it up I still don't really know how to "conform" to it. Seems like it's some kind of standard for proofs.

Here is one of the questions for my HW:
"Six people enter a room. Either there are three people who know each other or there are three people who are strangers to each other.

Prove the above statement. Where does a variant of the pigeonhole principle come in?"

I don't quite know where to start - I looked up the pidgeonhole principle and didn't really understand how it applies to this problem. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction as to how to write a proof for this problem?

This HW is due Thursday at 11:59 PM EST, help before then is very appreciated.

Homework Equations

None that I know of.

The Attempt at a Solution

?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Think of the 6 people sitting around a table. Focus on one of them, call him A. Since he sees 5 people, there must be three he either knows or doesn't know. (There coudn't be just two of each). Examine that situation a little further.

LCKurtz said:
Hint: Think of the 6 people sitting around a table. Focus on one of them, call him A. Since he sees 5 people, there must be three he either knows or doesn't know. (There coudn't be just two of each). Examine that situation a little further.

I'm still not quite understanding - isn't it possible that he doesn't know all 5 of them and is simply in the same room with random people? Do you mean "AT LEAST 3 he either knows or 3 he doesn't know?"

Bensky said:
I'm still not quite understanding - isn't it possible that he doesn't know all 5 of them and is simply in the same room with random people? Do you mean "AT LEAST 3 he either knows or 3 he doesn't know?"

Yes that's what I mean. So you can pick 3 to go with A. Analyze them; try drawing solid or dashed lines for know, don't know and see what happens.

Here's a hint:

If you know someone, then they know you.

i'll go with NOUSE post

1. What is a proof in a CS related class?

A proof in a CS related class is a formal method of demonstrating that a statement or algorithm is true or valid. It is a way of providing evidence or justification for the correctness of a solution or theory.

2. Why is it important to learn about proofs in a CS related class?

Learning about proofs in a CS related class is important because it helps develop critical thinking skills and logical reasoning. It also allows for a deeper understanding of algorithms and theories, and ensures that solutions to problems are correct and efficient.

3. What are the different types of proofs used in CS related classes?

The most common types of proofs used in CS related classes are direct proofs, proof by contradiction, proof by induction, and proof by cases. Each type of proof has its own approach and is used to prove different types of statements or algorithms.

4. How can I improve my skills in writing proofs for a CS related class?

To improve your skills in writing proofs, it is important to practice regularly and to seek feedback from your professor or peers. It is also helpful to read and analyze proofs written by others, and to study different proof techniques and strategies.

5. Are there any tools or resources that can assist with writing proofs in a CS related class?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools that can assist with writing proofs in a CS related class. Some popular ones include proof assistants such as Coq and Isabelle, as well as online communities and forums where you can ask for help and receive feedback on your proofs.