Question on torue(center of mass being important I think)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Crusaderking1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Important Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Crusaderking1
Messages
158
Reaction score
0
Question on torque(center of mass being important I think)

Homework Statement



I have a lab report due tomorrow, and I have it all done except one calculation, but it confuses me.

The center of mass on my meter stick on a stand is 50.1 cm, or .501 meters.

For part B, we changed the pivot point to 30.0 cm(not the center of mass), or .300 meters. then with 3 mass hanging by a rope are added. I understand that torque is force times radius.

The question is what OTHER forces are acting on the system besides the weights we added on, and then find the torque, mass, radius, and distance.

I suppose this is referring to the force of gravity *mass of meter stick with the distance being .501 - .300 = .201 meters. The torque would then be .164675 Nm. Is this right?

Please help. Thanks.

Homework Equations



sine = 1
radius * force = torque

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you didn't give any masses. you should also probably be considering the moment of inertia of the meter stick.
 
Pythagorean said:
you didn't give any masses. you should also probably be considering the moment of inertia of the meter stick.

Sorry, the mass of the meter stick is 0.0836 kg.

Well, I don't understand how inertia would tie in with finding the torque of the other forces besides the weights on the tension.

Wouldn't it just be mass of meter stick, the distance between the pivot and the center of mass, then to find the force, just 0.0836 kg * 9.8 m/s^2, and then torque is radius*force?
 
Hrmm... that means... is the system in equilibrium (no motion and not sitting with one end touching the floor)? If so, wouldn't the torque on either side of the fulcrum be the same?
 
Pythagorean said:
Hrmm... that means... is the system in equilibrium (no motion and not sitting with one end touching the floor)? If so, wouldn't the torque on either side of the fulcrum be the same?

its not in static equilibrium, but its not touching the floor because the ruler is on a stand.

I'm suppose to find the "other forces"(not the weights I added) before I calculate the static equilibrium.

So I need the torque value 1 + torque value 2 + other forces.
There are two weights on the system. The center of mass is not the pivot point.
This would be torque 0.309 + -0.434 + (other forces) <===this is where i need help.
 
Last edited: