What Is the Correct Way to Calculate Theta in Trigonometry?

• Thread starter r-soy
  • Start date
In summary, the group discussed a question on trigonometry and clarified the definition of tangent. They also explained the process of solving a question involving tangent and theta, emphasizing the importance of using the arctangent function on a calculator.
r-soy
Hi all

question on triangometry .

1.JPG

I know solve this quetion put are we saying :

tan = 6/6.7 = 0.8955

or tan =6/6.7 =0.0156

I don't n did we take tan or direct divide 6/6.7 = 0.8955

I want your help please .

Physics news on Phys.org
TRIANGOMETRY?

What is tangent definition?

--

thanks >> I understand now

[URL]http://www.bpp.com.pl/IMG/faint.gif[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
you divide the opposite side/adjacent side to the angle θ, which is 6/6.7= 0.89.

Then you take the tangent of this number, tan(0.89) = .0156 as your final answer

Borek said:
[PLAIN]http://www.bpp.com.pl/IMG/faint.gif[/QUOTE]

hey ... where did you get it from?

EDIT: understood...

Last edited by a moderator:
k-rod AP 2010 said:
you divide the opposite side/adjacent side to the angle θ, which is 6/6.7= 0.89.

Then you take the tangent of this number, tan(0.89) = .0156 as your final answer

No, the opposite side divided by the adjacent side already is the tangent of theta

Theaumasch said:
No, the opposite side divided by the adjacent side already is the tangent of theta

ohh ur right, i meant to say you would take the arctangent to find out the theta. i forgot to hit arctangent on my calculator and just put the number w/o paying attention. my bad, :tongue2:

What is triangometry?

Triangometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and their properties. It involves the use of trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to solve problems related to angles and sides of triangles.

What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. Sine is the ratio of the length of the side opposite an angle to the length of the hypotenuse. Cosine is the ratio of the length of the adjacent side to the length of the hypotenuse. Tangent is the ratio of the length of the opposite side to the length of the adjacent side.

How is triangometry used in real life?

Triangometry has many practical applications in real life. It is used in navigation, surveying, architecture, engineering, and astronomy, among others. For example, triangometry is used to calculate distances and heights of objects, determine the location of a ship or plane, and design structures with stable angles and sides.

What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is a fundamental principle in triangometry that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. It can be written as a^2 + b^2 = c^2, where c is the length of the hypotenuse and a and b are the lengths of the other two sides.

How can I solve a triangometry problem?

To solve a triangometry problem, you need to identify the given information and determine which trigonometric function to use. Then, use the appropriate formula to calculate the unknown side or angle. It is important to label the sides and angles correctly and use the correct units of measurement. Practice and familiarity with trigonometric functions will also help in solving triangometry problems.