Solving Vector Addition with Wind and Velocity

In summary, a plane traveling from Barrie to Toronto must fly in the direction of 5 degrees south of east to reach its destination. In addition, vector addition and trigonometric equations can be used to determine the angle at which the plane must fly to account for wind velocity and reach the desired direction.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
1. An air ambulance is traveling from Barrie to Toronto. Toronto is located 90 km (S 5° E) of Barrie. If the wind is blowing from the South with a velocity of 62 km/h, and the plane's air speed is 375 km/h, what direction must the pilot fly to make it to Toronto?

2. Let u=<u_{1},u_{2}>, v=<v_{1},v_{2}> be vectors and let k be a scalar. Then u+v=<u_{1}+v_{1},u_{2}+v_{2}> and ku=<ku_{1},ku_{2}>.

||u|| = √(u^{2}_{1}+u^{2}_{2})

u = ||u||(cos θ)i + ||u||(sin θ)j

tan θ = sin θ / cos θ

3. I tried vector addition but I'm just stumped (my cousin is taking a high school calculus course, and I volunteered to help him out).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you are just listing random formulas. :frown:

I'll help you set it up since you are helping someone else. Call the wind vector ##\vec W = \langle 0,62\rangle##. Let ##\theta## be the polar coordinate (unknown) angle the plane flies, so the plane vector is ##\vec P = \langle 375\cos\theta,375\sin\theta\rangle##. You want the resultant vector for the plane and wind to be in the direction of the town, say ##\vec D = \langle \cos(-85^\circ),\sin(-85^\circ)\rangle##. So set up the equations ##\vec P + \vec W = k\vec D## and use the two component equations to solve for ##\theta##.

Hi LCKurtz,

Thanks for all your help! As far as listing formulas, I was looking at all relevant formulas from my cousin's algebra textbook -- as a professional statistician, I admit to being rather embarrassed that I had trouble with this question! :redface:

1. What is vector algebra?

Vector algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation and analysis of vectors, which are quantities that have magnitude and direction. It involves operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication of vectors, as well as the use of vector components and coordinates.

2. What are the basic properties of vectors in vector algebra?

The basic properties of vectors include magnitude, direction, and position. Vectors can be added together, multiplied by a scalar, and have a negative value. They also follow the commutative, associative, and distributive properties.

3. What are the different types of vector operations in vector algebra?

There are three main types of vector operations in vector algebra: scalar multiplication, vector addition, and vector subtraction. Scalar multiplication involves multiplying a vector by a scalar, which results in a vector with a different magnitude but the same direction. Vector addition involves adding two or more vectors together to get a resultant vector. Vector subtraction involves subtracting one vector from another to get a resultant vector.

4. How is vector algebra used in real-world applications?

Vector algebra is used in many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze the motion of objects, the forces acting on them, and the geometric transformations of objects in computer graphics.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in vector algebra?

Some common mistakes to avoid in vector algebra include forgetting to include units when working with physical quantities, not following the correct order of operations, and not using the correct vector notation. It is also important to remember to consider the direction of vectors when adding or subtracting them, and to use the correct formulas for vector operations.