1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on vector algebra

1. Mar 10, 2012 #1

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

1. An air ambulance is travelling from Barrie to Toronto. Toronto is located 90 km (S 5° E) of Barrie. If the wind is blowing from the South with a velocity of 62 km/h, and the plane's air speed is 375 km/h, what direction must the pilot fly to make it to Toronto?

2. Let u=<u_{1},u_{2}>, v=<v_{1},v_{2}> be vectors and let k be a scalar. Then u+v=<u_{1}+v_{1},u_{2}+v_{2}> and ku=<ku_{1},ku_{2}>.

||u|| = √(u^{2}_{1}+u^{2}_{2})

u = ||u||(cos θ)i + ||u||(sin θ)j

tan θ = sin θ / cos θ

3. I tried vector addition but I'm just stumped (my cousin is taking a high school calculus course, and I volunteered to help him out).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks like you are just listing random formulas. :frown:

I'll help you set it up since you are helping someone else. Call the wind vector ##\vec W = \langle 0,62\rangle##. Let ##\theta## be the polar coordinate (unknown) angle the plane flies, so the plane vector is ##\vec P = \langle 375\cos\theta,375\sin\theta\rangle##. You want the resultant vector for the plane and wind to be in the direction of the town, say ##\vec D = \langle \cos(-85^\circ),\sin(-85^\circ)\rangle##. So set up the equations ##\vec P + \vec W = k\vec D## and use the two component equations to solve for ##\theta##.

4. Mar 10, 2012 #3

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Hi LCKurtz,

Thanks for all your help! As far as listing formulas, I was looking at all relevant formulas from my cousin's algebra textbook -- as a professional statistician, I admit to being rather embarrassed that I had trouble with this question! :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook